Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Butterfly Jigging: Got The Fever?

I have really been killing the fish lately with the butterfly jigging systems. Check out the videos in the link below. Select the "media" drop down, then hit "videos". There are 3 segments. The real value of this system is that while it is clean (and fun), you catch a whole different class of fish. The fish that hit the butterfly jig are hitting out of aggression not a hunger strike so you are catching fish that would not normally be chewing.

Two weekends ago out of Pompano I was catching Blackfins one after the other in the middle and mutton to trigger fish on the bottom. You really have to learn to "walk the dog" or your catching will be limited. I took two identical rigs to Pompano to fish with two skeptics. While I was one after the other they were fighting over the other jigging stick but did not catch a fish due to lack of technique. I confess, I am really addicted to this style of fishing.

Butterfly jigging

the grip. my jigging sticks......... CS 551 Progear mated to 50-100 med/heavy Trevala w/65lb braid to 80lb wind on leader

post-2300-1239914645_thumb.jpg

i think there were some examples of "walking the dog" in the Shimano videos.

essentially, see how i am holding the reel in my left hand in the above pic.......that's the grip, that is where you hold onto the rod until hook up.....you are actually holding the left side of the reel. the butt end of the rod is tucked into the left arm pit and the reel is held relatively close to the chest. both the hand holding the reel and the hand doing the winding are moving in unison resulting in very short strokes of the rod tip. when you get it right it is a nearly effortless motion and it drives the fish nuts. it does take some practice, but once you got it it is like riding a bike.....automatic.

good luck.

Question: We Fish out of Holden Beach,N.C. What ounce jig is needed from 30 feet of water to say 100 feet? What colors are better on the east coast? I'm going to give this a try.

Thanks,

Flounder1

well.....90-100 ft (or deeper) is the effective depth for butterfly jigging. up to 150 ft or so a 5 oz is fine. 150 to 300 i like a 7-10 oz depending on current. getting close to 10 oz can get a bit tiring after a while. i can do a 5 oz all day no problem.

different species seem to like different colors just like any other jig/artificial. cudas and jacks really like the flashy silvery ones. grouper like the ones that are gold with a little red and black highlights. see the pic.....i caught this grouper yesterday in 93 ft on the aforementioned jig. yank him right out of that hole.

FWIW check out buying some like new used equipment.......a lot of people can't figure out how to do it and are not successful, giving it up and selling everything on the cheap.

post-2300-1240706442_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1240706649_thumb.jpg

I haven't learned the proper butterfly technique, but did find butterfly jigs to be very successful the few times I got out fishing last year, well until I lost the jigs to the rocks :504_shrugging: I was using a seeker blue lighting 6 1/2' jigging rod with shimano tld 20 II speed and 50# braid. I'd use a short top shot of 80# mono, but if I broke off I'd just tie a swivel directly to the braid and have at it. I used some (relatively) cheap e-bay 14 oz jigs.

Here was the best fish of the season, a 44" 40lb ling cod.

753103398_08A73440C2CB7F4B2007998E016915

Not terribly big but a good eating yellow eye

863103398_8D0B520DE421704E31DFBEDFF6FF69