Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Local Boater Option

Guys I need info on this.. (chris I know that you will chime in)

I googled "local boater option" and the only government link I got is from Puerto Rico.

How do I get it and where????

Just go to your local port US customs office, each person has to show up in person with a passport and they will issue you a number. I have seen reports that say you will be issued a card but Port Canaveral just gave me a number. I can't remember if they want your boat registration also, so maybe just take it with you. Some links say you need an appointment. I would call to be sure.

Guys I need info on this.. (chris I know that you will chime in)

I googled "local boater option" and the only government link I got is from Puerto Rico.

How do I get it and where????

Just go to your local port US customs office, each person has to show up in person with a passport and they will issue you a number. I have seen reports that say you will be issued a card but Port Canaveral just gave me a number. I can't remember if they want your boat registration also, so maybe just take it with you. Some links say you need an appointment. I would call to be sure.

Yes, they do issue cards, and take boat info as well......

Got this from CBP.gov

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_r...06/11082006.xml

Miami –U.S. Customs and Border Protection today announced the launch of a new Local Boater Option, designed to assist honest international boaters as they return to the United States from foreign waters.

CBP will implement revised clearance procedures for pleasure boats arriving in the United States from foreign waters. In the pleasure boat environment, the master of any vessel must report their arrival to CBP after having been at any foreign port or place or after having contact with any hovering vessel.

For pleasure boats returning to locations in Florida, pleasure boat arrival reporting is a two-step process:

All pleasure boats arriving in South Florida must call 1-800-432-1216 or 1-800-451-0393 to report their arrival.

Upon completion of telephonic arrival notification, boaters will be directed to the nearest Port of Entry to present themselves and any passengers for a face-to-face interview.

With the addition of the new Local Boater Option:

Boaters will be given the opportunity to register their biographical data and vessel information with CBP.

Registrants will also present themselves in person and present proof of citizenship or legal permanent residence at the time of the application. This option is available to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents only.

Registration in the CBP system will result in the issuance of a pleasure boat registration number. Boaters will utilize the registration number when they notify CBP of future arrivals.

There is no fee for the Local Boater Option.

Boaters are encouraged to call their local CBP Port of Entry to schedule an appointment for enrollment in the Local Boater Option.

Time permitting, arriving boaters will be given the opportunity to register upon arrival during their face-to-face interview at CBP Private Aircraft Facilities and Ports of Entry.

:1992_beer_cheer:

Damn bro why didn't you just call me? Just call the customs office at Port Everglades and tell them you want to sign up for the LBO. They will tell you when to come in (you can pick the time and day) then you go to that office on Eller Drive in the port.

Bring your passport and boat documents. Also bring anyone else you want to sign up because anyone you bring to the Bahamas that doesn't have their own LBO number will still have to check in face to face.

So it looks like we're on for June 4th huh?

Damn bro why didn't you just call me? Just call the customs office at Port Everglades and tell them you want to sign up for the LBO. They will tell you when to come in (you can pick the time and day) then you go to that office on Eller Drive in the port.

Bring your passport and boat documents. Also bring anyone else you want to sign up because anyone you bring to the Bahamas that doesn't have their own LBO number will still have to check in face to face.

So it looks like we're on for June 4th huh?

Hey Chris, do you know if the in peson requirement applies to children. In otherwords do I have to drag my kids down to the Port (of Miami) when registering for LBO