Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Yam F250 Service

My F250s are due for 200 hr. service. I had the dealer do the initial 100 hr service, but I was considering performing the oil and filter change and lower unit lube change myself for the 200hr service. I am curious about what other's service philosophies are for these engines. Am I throwing away money having a dealer do it, or is it money well spent to get my engines in front of trained eyes every 100hrs or so?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I perform my own service work and always have. A few times things got over my head and I took it in. (clogged fuel injectors)

I don't do it to save money, it is more about convenience. I do it when I want to do it and I don't have to wait on anyone.

Keep good records and use Yamaha Genuine Parts from Shipyard Island Marina parts@shipyardisland.com

I just did the oil change, lower unit lube change, put in new oil and fuel / water separators on a pair of Yamaha F150's this past weekend. This was the first time I have done this work and it took about 1.5 hours, which is not bad considering it was my first time and I was pretty cautious. I ordered the MityVac pump and Yamaha parts from Shipyard Island Marina and will definitely be doing my own oil, lower unit, and filter changes from now on. Saved labor expense at $80 per hour from the dealer and learned a little about the motors. I will leave the more technical stuff like water pumps/impellers to the dealer. I would encourage you to try it once yourself....I am no mechanic but it is very simple. Believe I could do both motors in less than 1 hour now for sure.

My F250s are due for 200 hr. service. I had the dealer do the initial 100 hr service, but I was considering performing the oil and filter change and lower unit lube change myself for the 200hr service. I am curious about what other's service philosophies are for these engines. Am I throwing away money having a dealer do it, or is it money well spent to get my engines in front of trained eyes every 100hrs or so?

I suppose everyone has a different reason for their decision. Some do their own work so as to become more familiar with their own equipment, others do so because they have the time to do so. For me, it's an economic decision. I can earn more than the cost of having a dealer do it, in the time it takes me to do it. Plus, I don' t have the hassle factor. Plus, I truly believe you should let professionals do what they do best. A trained set of eyes can save you a lot of money and trouble. FWIW.

Gentlemen, thank you for your thoughts on this topic. While we are on this subject, would you give me an idea of the special tools involved (if any). I understand you need an oil vac and a 73mm oil filter wrench, anything else? Also, do you replace the lower unit plug seals each time as well?

Gentlemen, thank you for your thoughts on this topic. While we are on this subject, would you give me an idea of the special tools involved (if any). I understand you need an oil vac and a 73mm oil filter wrench, anything else? Also, do you replace the lower unit plug seals each time as well?

in case you don't have it already.....the 73mm oil filter socket can be had at any Discount Auto parts. i assume you have a 3/8 ratchet set. i use a Moeller hand pump/oil extractor. pop the oil fill cap to help the flow rate. warm oil moves quicker than cold. a diaper under the oil filter helps to collect any spilled oil upon removal. there are many techniques for minimizing the oil spillage. GlenE has a good technique as well that involves a plastic bag. the LU plug/fill can be a pain and is easily stripped so be careful and use well fitting common screw driver or i think there may even be a specialty tool available. there is a copper gasket that may or may not need replacing. i went to the dealer and purchased a couple of extra LU plugs. good luck.