Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Who Knew?

This the second time my helm has started leaking. The first time it was still under warranty, so I didn't do the rebuild/reseal.

Well I guessed the wheel would be tough to remove so when I got the nut loose I out it back on a few turns and went at it with the three jaw puller. The nut pushed right down to the wheel...no problem!

The I noticed that the wheel was still in the original position...took the nut off and I'd pushed all the thread right off the shaft of the helm!

I'm thinking cheap a** stainless steel...went to thinking how to solve this problem.

I brought it home and was going to try to chase the threads and see if I could catch the few threads left, but I didn't have a die that big. So I though...well I can take it down to 1/2" and tap it 1/2x13.

To my surprise the shalf is aluminum! That is why it removed the original threads so easy. So I filed the saft down and tapped it.

Next I "went in" to replace the seal...sand and little sea critters had got into the seal and cut the shaft pretty badly! My helm is inside the console...so it was easy for trash to get trapped in at the seal...

So $45 dollar plus shipping later...I ordered a new helm ($400 more bones) and I guess I use my customized helm until the new one comes in, unless it gets here in time for the weekend.

Chuck,

Remember, when using a wheel puller, the center should exert its force on the center of the shaft.

But there is an easy way to do it with no puller (for the next time!). Remove the nut, then thread it back on by hand until it gets to the nylon. Call your wife or your buddy, and have one of them pull aft on the wheel while you gave a couple of good raps on the shaft with a hammer and a short length of 2 X 4. Pops that wheel loose every time, with no damage to anything. Keeping the nut on keeps the wife/buddy in the boat when the wheel breaks loose... :lol:

Then hand them one of these... :1992_beer_cheer:

It is a SeaStar HH5261...if it's stainless its the sofest in the world. I filed it down (5/8X18) enough to tap it with 1/2X13 die in a few mintues...with a medium file it cut like butter.

Bob, I'm sure it would have destroyed thread doing it with a hammer. The shaft is very soft. I was not putting much pressure on it with the wrench/puller. I was surprised it pushed off as easy as looked like it was...then I realized I was only destroying the threads.

Catch22, the pass is fine...much better than it's been in a couple years. The last time I went out (3-25-09) it never got shallower than 6'...it's wide too!