Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

long time fishing, first time boating

Since moving to Central Qld from WA desert, I've decided to buy a boat. After 3 or 4 weeks of countless newspapers, magazines and surfing the net I've narrowed it down to something on the lines of an Ally Craft Intruder or similar, mainly because of budget limits as well as these seem to be fairly good 'entry level' boats. But the first of many questions I need to know is.... would a 4.35 Ally Craft Intruder with a 40hp motor be OK to cross from Rosslyn Bay to Great Keppel Island, (weather permitting). This is an open area of ocean about 15 kms across.

Since moving to Central Qld from WA desert, I've decided to buy a boat. After 3 or 4 weeks of countless newspapers, magazines and surfing the net I've narrowed it down to something on the lines of an Ally Craft Intruder or similar, mainly because of budget limits as well as these seem to be fairly good 'entry level' boats. But the first of many questions I need to know is.... would a 4.35 Ally Craft Intruder with a 40hp motor be OK to cross from Rosslyn Bay to Great Keppel Island, (weather permitting). This is an open area of ocean about 15 kms across.

welcome to reel boating ! I think you would be fine with that rig to start out with but i will say if you could find one with a bit more HP would be even better.

good luck and keep everyone updated with your progress

• 2 weeks later...

SCAngler do you realize he is talking about a 17' boat with a 40 on it to cross about 8 miles of open water? I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Under powered more than likely and doesn't sound like he has on the water experience.

I'd keep looking for something in the 20' plus range with at least 150-200 HP for this type of application. You never know when the weather will turn snotty. Can you post some pictures of this boat and give a little more detail of your boating experience?

Edited by David Kuhlmann

Go for an Edgewater or someother unsinkable boat and make sure you got all the safety gear, PLB, EPIRB, 2 vhf radios and a portable vhf with good batteries, fresh drinking water, rated life jackets, strobes, signaling devices, pleanty of anchor rode for the depth you;ll be in, sufficient anchor chain, anchor etc. You can even go so as to bring along a water desalinator (reverse osmosis). Have a ditch kit ready too. Pick yer days and keep on top of the weather. I've been waaaaaaaaaaaaay offshore 40+ miles in small boats (under 21') and brought back more "nice" fish on those boats and burned a helluva lot gas. Just remember yer outta yer element so pay attention to the weather. And don't worry bout the looks yer get from guys in those big sporties. They're men jes like you. Only paying a lot more to be there and prolly not catchin half the fish. No joke.

SCAngler do you realize he is talking about a 17' boat with a 40 on it to cross about 8 miles of open water? I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Under powered more than likely and doesn't sound like he has on the water experience.

I'd keep looking for something in the 20' plus range with at least 150-200 HP for this type of application. You never know when the weather will turn snotty. Can you post some pictures of this boat and give a little more detail of your boating experience?

yes i do realize it's 17' boat. I would still like a "bit" more power if it were me. i assume he would have a 40 hp 4 stroke on the boat . most 40 hp four stroke i have owned and used are somewhat sluggish in their performance. Mine for instance feels like its a 25 or 30 hp engine when in fact it's a 40.

also by "bit" i mean a little bit not like putting a 115 hp engine.