Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boaters Please Help

Hi everyone,

Earlier this summer, a neighbor's seven year old son was struck in the eye by a water cannon blast (toy) and partially blinded. Having watched the children play with these toys over the past several years, I can't say that I was surprised that something like this happened. While most activities for children involve some sort of rules or pre-defined (and therefore safer) goals, the use of water cannons involves something along the line of chaos. Blast your friend. Get blasted back. And repeat the pattern. Not only are the blasts of water very strong, especially at closer ranges, but some water cannons are quite strong in their construction and often become objects of accidental contact that can cause bruises, cuts, even fractures.

Personally, I've played with the children and really do enjoy these bigger, stronger water cannons. They are a great deal of fun, and I believe can be played with quite safely if used correctly (if it is alright with the moderators, I'm providing a link to www.waterblaster.com so that everyone can see the type I'm talking about).

The problem, I believe, is that no definative rules, goals, objectives, and so forth, exist for the use of these toys. At least none that I can find. I'm not much of a "game creator", I'm sorry to say, or I would have done so by now. Preaching to children about the dangers of things doesn't always work out the way it should...because they are innocent and don't remember things very well when caught up in the moments of chaotic fun.

What I have in mind is to collect as many game or activity ideas as possible, with rules that are part of the game. In other words, the safety would be built-in. I believe that children would pay attention to the rules if they were incorporated this way, and the rules would help protect the children against harming themselves or others. It is not so simple as having them all wear protective eyewear, which we've tried, because close range shooting often washes the eyewear askew or completely off.

If you would be kind enough to relay your experiences about fun activities with water cannons, and include rules, objectives, and so forth, I will compile the collection and publish it everywhere possible. Maybe together we can all help to protect other children from harm. I hope so.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Al or is it Capt. Jack or Denny Crane or.......? How's things in VA? Haven't heard from you since you lost your main rotor.

I'm not Al, Jack, or Denny. I'm Samantha and I'm looking for someone to help with exactly what the thread asks.

Edited by SamanthaBradford

Better outlaw forks and spoons also. I'll bet more kids get hurt with those dangerous tools than water guns!

Oh, and don't forget the Happy Meals! Those are damaging kids everywhere.

Really? Is this a serious post? :wacko:

You didn't read the thread very well, because I never mentioned outlawing anything. In fact, I mentioned that I love the products myself. I'm talking about putting together a list of activities USING the water cannons, games that have safety built-in to their structure.

And yes, I am as serious about this as was the injury to the boy's eye. He is blind in that eye, and I think a more structured approach to using them (for little ones) would help prevent future injuries.

How about this: when you teach you children to use firearms, they don't start out hunting. They start out practicing on a range or at cans. THAT is structured safety built-in to having fun. Otherwise, they would start out running around the woods shooting before they understood the dangers.

I am NOT trying to outlaw, that's not my mindset in life or here. You put that into the mix, not me.

Thanks for the response, though.

Samantha

You can not give a kid a "toy" like that and leave him UNSUPERVISED , sooooooooooooooo, yer best line of defense is to NOT BUY the plastic junk for your kid.

Rule #1 Don't give heathen dangerous toy.

Rule #2 See Rule #1

I understand, and somewhat agree. However, I never said anything about not supervising. What I want to do is help provide parents with game ideas that have safety built-in, along with supervision.