Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Generator for my New Sport Fisher

Didn't want to mix this with the Diesel Power plant thread ....

What Generator should I look at and why ? What KW would be needed to run my 45' Sport Fisher , All Electronics, AC, Battery maintainer , 120VAC and 12VDC, all the comforts of home on board.

Didn't want to mix this with the Diesel Power plant thread ....

What Generator should I look at and why ? What KW would be needed to run my 45' Sport Fisher , All Electronics, AC, Battery maintainer , 120VAC and 12VDC, all the comforts of home on board.

Most likley 240 volt is what you will need 8k ? depending what your needs are 2 or 3 a/c units washer dryer etc.

I Like northern lights myself also Westerbeke is high on the list .A 1800 rpm unit is a must IMO . other good units out there these seem to be the best from what I have seen .I wn a Northerlights myself .

is this a new build ?

Welder,

If you are going to install a 240VAC gennie, then all your appliances will have to be 240. Micro, water heater, stovetop, etc. Won't work real good here in the states when you go cruising and want to berth at a marina...that has 120VAC shorepower... :1121_wink:

Welder,

If you are going to install a 240VAC gennie, then all your appliances will have to be 240. Micro, water heater, stovetop, etc. Won't work real good here in the states when you go cruising and want to berth at a marina...that has 120VAC shorepower... :1121_wink:

Not true most boats this size use a 240 VAC genset . and most marinas have offer 50 amp service at the dock and that are also 240 volts. Just like your house has 240 v coming in . ( your home dryer and oven would use 240 volts but the rest of your house is 120v .

its the same thing on a boat . you use 240 to run your AC units maybe hot water etc. then use 120 for most other uses . How do your get 120 from 240 ?

on a 240 set up you basically have a neutral and 2 120 volt sides giving you 240 volts so you use that to run your 240 volt stuff . your then take and use the neutral and one side to run to get 120 volts and do the same to get 120 volts with the other side . Just like its done in your home.