Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Garmin GPS antenna

I have a Garmin 178C sounder, comb. ff and GPS with an exterior antenna. Two problems, the wire is too long and also the bayonet fitting where the antenna fastens on the sounder is loose, so I must duct tape it so it stays tight. Can I shorten the wire and install a new fitting on the wire, and if so, where to buy? If not, what is the solution?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Garmin 178C sounder, comb. ff and GPS with an exterior antenna. Two problems, the wire is too long and also the bayonet fitting where the antenna fastens on the sounder is loose, so I must duct tape it so it stays tight. Can I shorten the wire and install a new fitting on the wire, and if so, where to buy? If not, what is the solution?

The fitting on the unit will have to be tightened inside.

You can probably shorten the antenna cable with no ill effect. What kind of connector is it? A BNC? I believe it's a BNC. My Raymarine uses a TNC (which is a threaded NC connector) and I had to replace it this year, but I DO own a coaxial cable crimping set with all the proper dies. Do some research to see exactly what connector is used. Any marine electronics shop can professionally crimp on a new connector for about $10 or 15. Crimp connectors are available on eBay. You can buy a crappy BNC connector at Radio Shack.

BNCs are wide open along the sides, and salt water can get inside to corrode everything. When you get it all fixed, seal it up good. If you remove the unit from the boat, like I do, corrosion will be a bigger problem. Be prepared.

Edited by skunked_again