Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fridays Scouting trip 9/17

BIG O

Decided to do a quick peak to see if my boat still floated, and check a couple of spots for B-liner, Trigger and Reef donkeys, NOAA was calling for SE winds 10-15K seas 1-3. Real world got the direction right but blowing 20K or better and seas were 4-5. Had our good friend Captain Dalton,Gary Jad and myself we ran 40 miles to check out Cris AJ hole

first drop and Gary was hooked up to a 35lbs donkey. After one or 2 break offs the bite stopped, it took a lot longer to get there so we were not there for the early morning bite. Seas being so sloppy we decided to put out a couple of high speed blue and white islanders, to troll to our next spot picked up one small 15lbs cuda. Second spot was holding the ever elusive Red Snappers, as we were throwing back 10-15lbs on every drop but we did get one B-liner. We decided to troll to one more rig and picked up a small chicken, again on the islander. Seas were building and we hit a couple of more of Daltons trigger spots, caughtplety that were just shy of legal but put a couple of nice ones in the boat along with a couple more lane and B-linners. By this time we were all beat seas were continuing to build adn we decided on heading back in. Snapper were so thick that it was real hard to get the baits down past them to try to target anything else. Boat ran great and other than being tired we all had a great time. Gona try to post up a picturepost-3225-092820800 1284897516_thumb.jpg

Decided to do a quick peak to see if my boat still floated, and check a couple of spots for B-liner, Trigger and Reef donkeys, NOAA was calling for SE winds 10-15K seas 1-3. Real world got the direction right but blowing 20K or better and seas were 4-5. Had our good friend Captain Dalton,Gary Jad and myself we ran 40 miles to check out Cris AJ hole

first drop and Gary was hooked up to a 35lbs donkey. After one or 2 break offs the bite stopped, it took a lot longer to get there so we were not there for the early morning bite. Seas being so sloppy we decided to put out a couple of high speed blue and white islanders, to troll to our next spot picked up one small 15lbs cuda. Second spot was holding the ever elusive Red Snappers, as we were throwing back 10-15lbs on every drop but we did get one B-liner. We decided to troll to one more rig and picked up a small chicken, again on the islander. Seas were building and we hit a couple of more of Daltons trigger spots, caughtplety that were just shy of legal but put a couple of nice ones in the boat along with a couple more lane and B-linners. By this time we were all beat seas were continuing to build adn we decided on heading back in. Snapper were so thick that it was real hard to get the baits down past them to try to target anything else. Boat ran great and other than being tired we all had a great time. Gona try to post up a picturepost-3225-092820800 1284897516_thumb.jpg

Glad to see some are getting out over to the east.

Hope they'll open up some more water soon south of Venice.

I hope they do open them up for you we were out about 40 miles due south of the island, and that was about the farthest

that we can fish, due to the closed waters. Means that we can not get into the blue water to the Petronus or the marlin or the beer can, all that water remains closed from what I understand. I did not see any traces of oil and we were in about 140 feetof water, good color green and clear but not anywere near cobalt blue.

Big O

:471_confused_face:

I hope they do open them up for you we were out about 40 miles due south of the island, and that was about the farthest

that we can fish, due to the closed waters. Means that we can not get into the blue water to the Petronus or the marlin or the beer can, all that water remains closed from what I understand. I did not see any traces of oil and we were in about 140 feetof water, good color green and clear but not anywere near cobalt blue.

Big O

:471_confused_face: Now that they've completed the final kill, hopefully they'll open some more before snapper season opens in two weeks. I'd like to fish at least 200 ft for AJ & Grouper.

Big O

They opened about 30 mi more from the south yesterday.

One more 30 mi move north will put me in business.

Red

000cg.jpg

Big O

They opened about 30 mi more from the south yesterday.

One more 30 mi move north will put me in business.

Red

000cg.jpg

Thanks for the Kind words Tim W, it was just nice to be able to get out on the water after all the BP crap, Bud I hope they do open them up for you soon, I am gona hit the snapper on opening day Oct 1 and me and a couple of friends are planning an overnight Tuna trip sometime in October if they move the line another 15 miles South as well. Our planj would be to leave the marina at around 4 in the afternoon avoiding all the other boat traffic run the 70 miles south and try for the early afternoon bite, set up some swordfish rigs, have a nice dinner maybe a beer or 2 fire up the gen set and drift the night away, get up for the morning bite do a little trolling and ease back in picking up snapper grouper and what ever else we can find along the way.

Thats the plan, now all we have to do is execute and hope they do move the line further south so that we can get into some blue water

Big O