Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fishing catastrophies

Got snagged on the bottom while fishing on a pier. Slowly the snag started moving up and toward the pier. 4/0 senator, 50# test with a heavy egg sinker knocker rig. I looked over the edge of the pier railing just in time to see a cinder block, my hook on the very edge of the block. ****pop****

At mach 5 the egg sinker hit me dead center between the eyes. My feet left the pier about three inches and out I went. The bump took a few weeks to subside. I personally know why they call them "knocker rigs" now.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one I have only told to my closest friends. I'm a very seasoned and experienced boater/angler and this is embarrassing,but here goes.

It's late fall (NOV?) don't remember exactly,but do remember it was cold. I'm dressed for cold fishing. insulated boots,fleece up and down, heavy coat, heavy pants. I launch my boat solo alot and have figured out that if I hook the painter to my winch, unhitch the boat and back down,hitting the brakes when I want to launch, I can "shoot" the boat off.simple and quick.I've done this many,many times without problems.Well, this time as I'm watching I see the painter snap.Oh sh1t! I slam the truck in park and RUN. Too late, I know I'm screwed, and I'm not about to let the boat get away from me. In I go. waters over my head almost instantly. no biggie ,couple strokes and I get my finger in the bow eye. now the wind and current have got the boat.I can't "swim" it back,so I try to get aboard. I can't! one of my boots gets lost trying. now I'm freezing (the water is cold) and I'm getting tired, I feel like I weigh a million pounds.I work my way to the transom, figuring this will be the easiest place to board. I can't get on! now I'm starting to get a little worried. Attempt after attempt to climb over the transom fail. Now I'm exausted. kicked off the other boot, I'm shivering and feeling heavier all the time. There's nobody around to yell to for help. Damn! Finally,I look at the engine and realize that I have a control on the side to raise and lower. I hit the button,and lower the engine. I'm able to use the lowered engine to climb on and finally board. What a jackass. imaging going out in such a stupid way? lost my cell phone that was in my pocket, a good pair of my favorite boots, and most of all my pride. believe it or not I still went fishing that day. I had a few dry items on board and I wrung out the rest and spent the day fishing,wet, with freakin cold feet. I did learn a few lessons though. I still launch the boat this way ,but you should see the painter.lol a battleship would have a hard time breaking it. Pay attention guys, freak things can happen to anyone.

Not disasters or catastrophies, but comical happeneings anyways.

I was flyfishing on the green river in utah. Tossed a hopper into a slow moving pool. Didn't see any fish, so I laid down my rod, pulled off my vest, and began dropping my waders so I could take a piss. Along comes a large rainbow and it snatches that damn fly and takes off....pulling my flyrod with it! I went charging in after it and ended up going in over my waders before I caught the rod.

Another time, same river. Using a teeny midge fly size 24 or so. Down to my last one and it was slaying fish! Biggest rainbow I've ever hooked slurped it down and went into a snag. I could see the fish under the snag, about 8' down, hooked and stuck. So I undressed to my buckassness and dove for the fish and fly. Unhooked the fish and used the fly to catch about a dozen more before the bite turned off!

Got snagged on the bottom while fishing on a pier. Slowly the snag started moving up and toward the pier. 4/0 senator, 50# test with a heavy egg sinker knocker rig. I looked over the edge of the pier railing just in time to see a cinder block, my hook on the very edge of the block. ****pop****

At mach 5 the egg sinker hit me dead center between the eyes. My feet left the pier about three inches and out I went. The bump took a few weeks to subside. I personally know why they call them "knocker rigs" now.

Thanks for clearing that up. That sure explains alot.

Not exactly a catastophe, but last summer while trolling we hooked up with a king mack and as I was walking to the bow for my buddy to gaff the king at the stern, I stepped straight onto a bottom rig with a 7/0 J hook from the rod in the horizontal mount. It was already rigged for bottom fishing after we finished trolling and was positioned perfectly to hook my foot as it came back to the deck. The hook went straight in all the way to the bottom of the J into my foot so there was not going to be any pushing the hook through and cutting off the barb. I finished reeling in the king, let my buddy gaff him and proceeded to figure out what to do about the hook. It is 8am and we are 25 miles offshore and I do not want to ride all the way back to the dock with a hook buried in my foot. I eventually used some KANK+A mouth numbing medicine from the first aid kit to numb my foot as I cut out the hook with a swiss army knife until I could see the barb and pulled the hook out the rest of the way. I made sure it wasn't bleeding too bad, applied some gauze and wrapped the gauze to my foot using black electrical tape because the medical tape was not holding on the wet deck. We ended up fishing the rest of the day, caught some more kings, a dolphin, and put some bottom fish in the boat as well.

We no longer rig up bottom rigs with hooks for fishing until we are ready to actually bottom fish.

post-1263-1239154815_thumb.jpg

post-1263-1239154828_thumb.jpg

On my old 24' HS Vector.

I am drifting while fluke fishing near the 9th St bridge in Ocean City Nj and the current is ripping. Have a couple rods in the t-top rocket launchers, a spinner with a nice, new, sharp snagging hook for bunker in the rodholder behind the seat in my CC.

Time for a new drift, turn the key on that wonderful Ficht engine... nothing. Try again, nothing. Turns out the computer has fried itself. Low clearence area of the bridge is getting closer, concrete abuttments looking more ominous.

Run to the bow to throw the well advertised fortress anchor, it does not catch. Pull it up try again, no luck. Third try, let the rode go real long and head for the back of the boat to ward off the bridge abuttment. Spin the wheel on the way to change course a little and miss the abuttment by an inch, but the rods on the t-top are now scraping the underside of the 40 year old metal drawbridge, showering huge hunks of rust all over me and the boat. I make a move to get under the t-top to get out of the rust shower and bang the spinning rod on the way past.

Snagging hook becomes unsecured from the rod guide, swings out wide, catches me sqaure in the right sunglass lens and deflects right into my forehead above the glasses. I am head-snagged.

Got thru the bridge, unhooked my head, looked around for a second, and THEN the Fortress catches about 40 yds downcurrent of the bridge. I am bleedin like a stuck pig.

Sat down, had a smoke, fixed my head and called SeaTow. Got to the dock, threw away the fancy anchor and got the old danforth out of the garage.... have not missed a hookup since.