Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fuel flow (primer bulb?) issue & low-oil alarm won't quit

if you have not solved the problem yet it may be the inside of your fuel lines are collapsing due to exposure to ethanol. replacing all the fuel lines with ethanol suitable lines should cure the problem. friend of mine just had the same issue on his grady and this is what it took to cure the deal.

if you have not solved the problem yet it may be the inside of your fuel lines are collapsing due to exposure to ethanol. replacing all the fuel lines with ethanol suitable lines should cure the problem. friend of mine just had the same issue on his grady and this is what it took to cure the deal.

I can't tell on the oil level. I just filled the tank. But if the VRO pump is dead, it would not be getting proper gas mixture and thus the alarm?

I ran the engine on a separate tank with a new fuel line. I bypassed the water separator and went right to the engine. The engine ran for a few minutes, then the no oil alarm sounded and then the engine starved out of fuel. The new primer bulb did not collapse, but it went soft. That would eliminate hoses, separator and tank issues, right?

The engine runs fine if I pump the primer bulb every few minutes. If there were an obstruction, wouldn't that keep the bulb from drawing fuel?

Other than the VRO pump, what else could it be? A friend/mechanic said (hasn't seen it) it is likely 99% a fuel pump issue.

Speaking manually mixing oil, I can buy a new pump that does not mix oil, but it is only $50 less expensive than the mixing pump. It's rather pay extra and not have to mix manually. But $400-plus for the part is outrageous.

Edited by BMarkey

I just tested again with the auxiliary tank and new hose and primer bulb. Same thing. The engine runs fine, then the oil alarm sounds, then the engine revs a bit before dying out.

So, I removed the VRO pump (man, that was simple - three screws, three hose clamps and one wiring harness plug). Now, I wish there were an easy way to test it for sure.

I just found out I can buy two separate kits allowing me to rebuild most of the VRO pump for $109. I have heard good and bad about trying to do this. Advice?

Edited by BMarkey