Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Smooth rides

Where to put the pilothouse  

5 members have voted

1. 1. For the smoothest ride, where do I put the pilothouse

• Far forward
    • Far rear
    • Amidships
    • I don't know

This is not about where the cabin is going to be located on a ship we are considering to build. This is about where the pilothouse should be located for the smoothest ride. Noise is always a problem that we've solved. We'd like your opinion on this subject. I tried doing it on another "reel" forum, but all I got was grief.

When you say ship - how big are we talking? This would make a big difference in my vote. Can you give is the LOA and beam that you are considering?

I currently build wood motorsailors 15-20m, from my deceased Dad's designs - he was an architect. But since I'm not I thought I'd put up a simple poll for other opinions. This is a ship 30-40m. Choice of building materiel is steel with aluminum for the pilothouse. It will have twin CAT 3516's and Azimuth pods.

Edited by reefhunter

From my experience in the Navy (destroyers) I would go amidships. In rougher seas the ride always seemed better amidships than in the bow or stern. The ship tended to piviot from the center in the fore/aft motion. Can't do much about the port/starboard motion. BTW - the destroyers that I were on 133m x 14m and 154m x 20m. We went through some rough stuff in the North Atlantic.

From my experience in the Navy (destroyers) I would go amidships. In rougher seas the ride always seemed better amidships than in the bow or stern. The ship tended to piviot from the center in the fore/aft motion. Can't do much about the port/starboard motion. BTW - the destroyers that I were on 133m x 14m and 154m x 20m. We went through some rough stuff in the North Atlantic.

That's pretty much what I thought too. Old salt here - said - fore to ride out ahead of the waves, another said aft over the engine room. My ole buddy from Chicago who rides the ore boats - said to stay away from either end. My motorsailors need a tall doghouse to see 20m to the bow.

Thanks - finally I get a real answer.