Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

4th on Flagler - West Palm Beach

Well - I'm going to get on my soapbox. Here we go again. Called the dockmaster for the City of West Palm Beach docks and they transferred me to Parks and Rec. Parks and Rec transferred me to events. Events asked me to leave a message. So I just got the call back. For anyone interested, the docks will be open for 4th on Flagler. Boats cannot move after 7:00 pm until after the fireworks show. They don't know if they will issue wristbands to boaters this year like they did last year. The fireworks barge will be set up on the south side near the bridge again. If the test shot indicates shell fallout on any dock, they will ask you to leave your boat OR move your boat to outside the bouy line. They usually have you stay north of the Slow Speed sign and outside the channel on the northeast side of the ICW. Hope this helps for anyone making plans. Also - remember that rafting at the docks is not allowed for some unknown reason...

Well, at least they are allowing boats at the docks on the Fourth. Somehow, that doesn't happen for SunFest!

BTW, at SunFest the docks were open to hundreds and thousands of revelers, including on the party barges, all while chunks of fireworks and ash were coming down into our hair and cups of beer. Why are the rules so thoroughly enforced at one event and not all events?

I am thinking of boating to Fourth on Flagler this time. 'Any idea of how crowded the docks are and when someone would have to get there to get dock space?

Edited by BMarkey

I was there last year and got lucky with a spot at 4:00 pm. It filled up pretty quick. I was also there for the waterfront opening and it was a disaster. No planning for the waterfront opening. North dock was closed until about 5:00 pm and then they opened it. I'm thinking of getting there pretty early this year and hanging out on Clematis instead of at Peanut like I did last year. It was jam packed last year at 4h on Flagler, but the nice thing was that they issued wristbands to the boaters to keep everyone else off the docks. When I spoke to the city, they didn't know they did it last year and didn't know if they were going to do this again.

I was there last year and got lucky with a spot at 4:00 pm. It filled up pretty quick. I was also there for the waterfront opening and it was a disaster. No planning for the waterfront opening. North dock was closed until about 5:00 pm and then they opened it. I'm thinking of getting there pretty early this year and hanging out on Clematis instead of at Peanut like I did last year. It was jam packed last year at 4h on Flagler, but the nice thing was that they issued wristbands to the boaters to keep everyone else off the docks. When I spoke to the city, they didn't know they did it last year and didn't know if they were going to do this again.

They just forgot that they issued wristbands last year? Ugh.

I had thought about boating during the day and heading to Flagler in the late afternoon and eventually enjoying the fireworks there. But it would not be fun to fail to get a dock spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to 4th on Flagler in West Palm Beach as planned. Got there maybe a little too early (12:00) as I know dock space was a premium last year. I think the rain held a lot of people off as Peanut Island was dead when we passed at 11:30. Rain off and on throughout the day, but for the most part, the rain stayed away. We kept an eye on the radar and went to Bradley's when the rains came. Only exciting thing that happened was the fantail watch of the USS Carr (FFG-52) pointed their .50 cal in our direction and PBSO armed with what looked like an AR-15 yelled at us and told us to stand off as we were too close to the car. Would have been nice if they would have installed a buoy line to instruct vessels where to keep back. As a former sailor myself, I understand the concern, but a little bit of information goes a loong way. The good thing is that it wasn't the US Navy that over reacted, but PBSO - but then they were just doing their job.

All in all, an enjoyable 4th by boat. It seems that most of the inexperienced captains stayed in port due to the threat of rain. It really made for an enjoyable trip back to North Palm in the dark with a light mist. Only other things I encounted was a guy running too fast with no nav lights. I saw his silloutte coming up behind me and flashed my spreaders at him, but he still didn't get it and didn't check his nav lights.

Glad you had a good time. Don't you hate it when you get blasted by the law for violating a rule that is not posted?

I stayed on land; watched a fantastic fireworks show on Lake Challenger in Royal Palm Beach.

The boat won't be running until I can get the VRO fuel-oil pump rebuilt or buy a new one.

Here's what I saw Sunday night ...

Royal Palm Beach Fireworks Finale

Edited by BMarkey