Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

I NEED MAJOR HELP QUICK

Friend posted this on another forum but thought Id sign up here and see what kind of help I could receive instead of smart ass comments.

We our fishing a tournament next weekend and our 12kw super hd raymarine unit has been on backorder for a while for some reason and we cant get answers. A friend of ours has his 10kw raymarine off his boat with the cables off. I found out that this unit requires 24v and the yellowfin is not set up for it right now. I know raymarine makes some converter for this unit but we cant find one in time. My question is if i take two 12 volt batteries and wire them for 24 volts is there a way to keep a charge on this system from an isolator in the console? Im pretty sure there is an isolator in there that is connected to the vrods alternators. Can i wire the charge system up in a 12 volt pattern with a lead to each hot and a lead to each neutral (ground)? Also for anyone who knows this should probably have been my first question but is this going to work with the array? As a power source and still be able to plug into the seatalk? The easiest fix is for someone to let me borrow for 72 hours their vcm 100 voltage converter ill bring fresh tuna back with me i promise.

Friend posted this on another forum but thought Id sign up here and see what kind of help I could receive instead of smart ass comments.

We our fishing a tournament next weekend and our 12kw super hd raymarine unit has been on backorder for a while for some reason and we cant get answers. A friend of ours has his 10kw raymarine off his boat with the cables off. I found out that this unit requires 24v and the yellowfin is not set up for it right now. I know raymarine makes some converter for this unit but we cant find one in time. My question is if i take two 12 volt batteries and wire them for 24 volts is there a way to keep a charge on this system from an isolator in the console? Im pretty sure there is an isolator in there that is connected to the vrods alternators. Can i wire the charge system up in a 12 volt pattern with a lead to each hot and a lead to each neutral (ground)? Also for anyone who knows this should probably have been my first question but is this going to work with the array? As a power source and still be able to plug into the seatalk? The easiest fix is for someone to let me borrow for 72 hours their vcm 100 voltage converter ill bring fresh tuna back with me i promise.

I wish...never mind.

I am not a electrician by any means but if it were me I would use 2 deep cycle batteries and wire them up to make the 24volts needed. Then hook up a 12v to 110 converter. Then if you can borrow a 24 volt charger from a friend (or take a new one for a test ride WINK WINK) This way your batteries will be kept charged and the battery charger should be able to keep up with the power needs.

Just a MacGyver idea from someone........

" that has done so much,

with so little,

for so long,

That I can do anything with nothing at all"

Good luck wishing you bloody deck and a 100's of memories.

Well we got it done today with no hitches. The guy already had the 12 to 24 converter that all the major manf. use. Start to finish time was right at 4 hours from taking open array off, taking dome off, drilling new holes, running the cables and mounting open array. Appreciate the help and suggestions. One comment that i learned was find a SHADY area. The black Ttop and black powdercoat on the yellowfin got really hot around 10. Hopefully have some pics of some tuna next weekend.