Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Petition against closing ocean to fishing & diving

I got this from another site. Thought some of us could help out...I signed it

Please HELP- Ask Fed. Govt. not to close healthy fisheries to fishing and diving!

SAFMC's preferred alternative right now is closing over 6,000 square miles of our most popular fishing/diving area in the Southeast on the basis of junk science and undue influence from special interests.

Ask South Atlantic Fishery Management Council (SAFMC) and Federal Agencies NOT TO CLOSE DOWN HEALTHY FISHERIES as part of Amendment 17A; Please go to this link and take a moment to fill out the form; then, please share with as many people as possible. http://www.petitiononline.com/SAFMC17A/petition.html

This must be done by this Friday. We need to get as many business owners and their business names signed up as possible. Members of the public are also needed. In a nutshell- this is to ask SAFMC not to close down large areas of ocean to diving or fishing for over 70 species of fish as part of the red snapper rebuilding plan.

SAFMC meets next week in Orlando, and this petition having broad support is very important.

Thank you,

Recreational Fishing Alliance - South Carolina Chapter

-------

The Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. Since its founding in 1996 as a 501©4 organization, the RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation’s saltwater fisheries. The South Carolina Chapter of the RFA, like the other local RFA chapters, was established to help build further support for the RFA Mission.

Before I ever sign any petitions I try to find out what it is all about and who is the sponsor. I looked on the RFA web site and didn't see anything about this. Are you certain it's an RFA sponsored petition?

On the face of it, it sounds like a good thing but I would think that if it's that important the RFA would have some mention of it on their web site. Or did I miss it?

Rusty,

Your post says this...

The Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues.

The "fine print" at the bottom of the petition says this...

...was created by recreational, for-hire and commercial anglers of the South Atlantic region, related businesses and those concerned about the long-term health of our fisheries and written by Wes Covington...

So is it recreational, commercial, or what? :504_shrugging: