Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Mako 21- Changing Fuel Fill Line

Hey everyone - first time post on here, used to use THT but not very much, more on CM. Haven't got a response over there as of yet, thought I'd try here.

I have a leak I think in my fuel fill and vent lines. I smelled gas, but no fuel in bilge water. The smell went away and the boat ran fine, only when we added a bit of gas to the tank did we smell it again and found a little bit of fuel in the bilge. The tank attachments seem to be OK.

The lines seem to be foamed in. How difficult is it to get these out without ripping up the deck (t-top and console would have to come off)? Anyone know any tricks to doing this or has done it before?

Thanks!

Pics:

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

Edited by l_bones

depending on the type of foam it is, you may be able to melt it with some laquer thinner or denatured alcohol

there are other chemicals that may work and it could be a hit or miss to find the correct one, unless the manufacter

can tell you.

this will be time consuming and tedious, and need a strong fan moving air.

still it would be better than cutting up the floor

use a good resperator

mike

• 5 weeks later...

There are a lot of my forum members that have done this as older ROBALOS are totally foam filled and even the tank. It is messy but a pressure washer will beat away the foam around the fuel lines as they run through a trough. It is a dirty job and you need to use a shop vac and remove the beating foam.

Another trick is to run a rope through the hose and using a big washer (cut a piece of plywood just a little bigger than the hose) and Tye a Knot in it just past the hose. Make sure you have enough rope on both sides of the hose. This will allow two people to grab the rope and playing tug-a-war you pull and he then pulls back then get a rhythm going and it will break loose and the one with the easiest opening pulls it through.

""""STOP"""" Remove the old hose inspect the trough and clean it up but leave the rope in it. Once clean thread the new hose on and pull it back through and install. I recommend NEW hose clamps (Law is 2 ) 2 tighten . Finish with all hoses then your ready to test. Cap off the vent by wrapping plastic over the opening and hose clamp it. Put a bolt in the fuel line clamp . Put the cap on the fill tight. Now on the vent get a used tire valve (pick one up at any tire store)cut so it will go into and can be clamped. Now put in 7 lbs air and it should stay in for 24 hrs test with digital gage.

To test for leaks while testing mix some soppy water and brush on area look for bubbles.

I hope this makes scene if not let me know. Good luck