Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Yamaha Skip

1996 V-76 2 stroke saltwater,225Hp, 453 hours. On a 88 Mako 211 CC. engine seems to run fine except at 2600 to 2900 rpm. Idols fine to wot 5200rpm 44.5 mph. At this rpm range not all cylinders are firing. If throttled up slowly it only skips at this rpm range but otherwise no skip is evident? a few folks in the business that I've talked to just say rebuild the carbs "6 X's. I hate to spend the bucks but I don't want to blow the engine either. I had fuel stabilizer in the tank and I've tried a fuel additve but it hasn't helped. I've got a trip planned to Swansborrow, NC in 3 weeks and I've got to make a move pretty quick. any help or ideas will be appreciated. The Fireproofer

4/26-Well time is running out! I'm takin-er into the shop and hope the damage won't be to bad. I'll let you know what we find. the Fireproofer

Edited by paulwhitaker

Fuel stabilizer was put in boat before downtime. First time out this year

motor skipped and would only do 4200 rpm at wot.

Changed plugs added a little extra stabilizer and after running at wot for 30 to 45 minutes top end cleared up and ran to 5200 END SKIPAS

Boat was stored with fuel stablizer. first time skipping and all clynders wern't firing, 4200 rpm @ wot. After running it hard for 30 to 45 minutes it cleared up and ran 5200 rpm @wot. Changed plugs and still had the skip at 2600 to 2900 rpm. a coupl of weeks went by and I added the fuel treatment and Read the plugs which showed no signs of a problem. This last week another new set of plugs and still have the skip at 2600 to 2900 rpm. Other wise seems to idole smooth. accelerates quickly and runs 5200 wot. If any of you guys have another idea lets hear it or I guess I'm going to be looking for a carburator man? Thanks for the help! The Fireproofer