Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Gator hunt last year

DDhand,

Here is a better picture of the equipment. It is called a harpoon. it is a 2" wooden dowel with black pipe insulation over it. I made the tip using a piece of pipe and pipe cap with a long shaft bolt with the bolt head cut off to recieve the dart tip. The tip is a muzzy tip ordered on line. It is very sharp and has prongs sticking out the sides to hold once it punctures the gator's skin. There is a cable lanyard attached to the tip and them a rope attached to it with a float on the end so if he runs (and he will) when you tap him you can let him take the rope and follow the float, pull him in and get him with a bangstick. If you want to know more get a hold of me and I've got more pictures of equipment and lists of what you need. It's alot of fun! :2261_high::2261_high:

post-25-1238295502_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I will. Around here they have been using big treble hooks and 80lb braid on Internation reels. That always seemd like a good way to lose a lot of line and tangle a gator up to die later.. I like the dart and float idea. I'll check our regs last year was our first season on them.

How are things in Destin? I used to stomp around there about 20 years back (high scool and college) PCB, Mexico Bch, Ft Walton ..... good times! Those gulf beaches are super nice!

Thanks, I will. Around here they have been using big treble hooks and 80lb braid on Internation reels. That always seemd like a good way to lose a lot of line and tangle a gator up to die later.. I like the dart and float idea. I'll check our regs last year was our first season on them.

How are things in Destin? I used to stomp around there about 20 years back (high scool and college) PCB, Mexico Bch, Ft Walton ..... good times! Those gulf beaches are super nice!

I use a treble hook also but mainly in more open water areas. If the body of water is small I don't use the treble.

Destin is growing like wild fire. Many many new condos and hotels and less and less beach access. The beach is still the most beautiful in the world though and I travel alot! The fishing is awesome!

we debated for awhile on taking this one. We should have because I got really sick a couple days later (still am now :blink: ) and ended up not getting the big one we wanted. But there is always next year. This one actually stayed around quite awhile. we tapped him on the back a few times and he didn't flinch. it wasnt until we gently tapped his tail with the harpoon when he lit up and took off through the reeds and into deep water!! :o