Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

carb problems due to my boat sitting all summer

As another boating season approaches I thought I would throw this topic out there and see if anyone had an answer to my problem. I have a 28' Boston Whaler with twin 200 Yamahas. The engines are older 2 strokes and have carbs. I own a seasonal restaurant and so during the summer my boat sits for long periods. I use it extensively in the Spring and Fall. Last Fall after closing I went to go fishing and had all kinds of problems with the engines. My mechanic pulled the carbs off and took them to his shop for cleaning . The problem was that I was down for several days. I am hoping to avoid this problem . Anyone out there have any possible solutions. Thank you.

Use a fuel additive such as Sta-bil or Star-tron.

I prefer Star tron myself, this is added to the gas whenever you fill up and will prevent the gas from breaking down and varnishing up. It is good for several months but I would drain the gas if it is going to sit for more than 6 months.

Rick

As another boating season approaches I thought I would throw this topic out there and see if anyone had an answer to my problem. I have a 28' Boston Whaler with twin 200 Yamahas. The engines are older 2 strokes and have carbs. I own a seasonal restaurant and so during the summer my boat sits for long periods. I use it extensively in the Spring and Fall. Last Fall after closing I went to go fishing and had all kinds of problems with the engines. My mechanic pulled the carbs off and took them to his shop for cleaning . The problem was that I was down for several days. I am hoping to avoid this problem . Anyone out there have any possible solutions. Thank you.

Assuming the cleaning cured your problems, then it might be a number of things that you should be doing. A change in fuel with higher ethanol might have been to blame, or it could have been crud in the fuel tanks, or it could have been building up for years and simply got so bad that it became a problem.

Try the fuel stabilizer. Run the engines with the tank valve shut off until they die so that there is no fuel in the carbs. Fog the engines prior to storage.