Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fire Extingisher Inspection

Mine is about 6 years old. I've never discharged it. All I've done is check to make sure the pressure guage indicates good pressure.

What are the CG requirements for inspection of marine fire extinguishers? Where can I take mine to get inspected?

Mine is about 6 years old. I've never discharged it. All I've done is check to make sure the pressure guage indicates good pressure.

What are the CG requirements for inspection of marine fire extinguishers? Where can I take mine to get inspected?

I'm assuming that you're not talking about a commercial vessel and that you're talking about the typical fire extinguisher most of us have on our boats that we bought at some boating store. If all of that is true, there is no requirement to have it inspected by anyone other than yourself or the CG if they happen to board you.

First thing you want to do though is check the overall condition - tap the gauge to make sure the needle isn't stuck, check for peeling paint, rust, etc. Next, turn it upside down and give it a good shake - If you hear a or feel a thunk, the chemical is compacted and the extinguisher is useless. You SHOULD feel the chemical slide smoothly ( like flour sliding down the inside) but not like it's sliding as a chunk.

Either way - at six years old and given how inexpensive they are, get yourself another one or two....or three....You may never need them but if you ever do, more is better.

If you're still not certain, contact your local CG Auxiliary and they will check it and the rest of your safety gear out for you for free. You can find them using the Flotilla Finder at http://nws.cgaux.org/flotillafinder/

The US Power Squadron will do the same if you can't find an Aux flotilla near you (well, even if you can - both orgs do the same inspections)

I had the CG aux give me a free safety check last yr and was very pleased. I had all my required gear plus extra things he was surprised that I had for as small a boat as I have. Very detailed you won't be sorry you got one. He also made some suggestions for different things as well. I will probably get another this yr as they are free. And about the fire ext. they are cheap insurance get a new one and keep the old for an extra as long as the guage reads good.

• 5 weeks later...

One thing to add is that dry chemical fire extinguishers cake over time. For home or marine use, pull the extinguisher off the mount and vigously shake it and make sure you can fell the powder flowing back and forth.

It's not a bad idea to get a new extinguisher every few years, considering how inexspensive they are, and how critical it is to contain a fire as quickly as possible on a boat.

The inspection requirements for the USCG or Power Squadron Vessel Safety Check decal are that the extinguisher gauge reads in the green.

The advise given above regarding caking is very valuable as even with the gauge reading green the extinguisher will not function if it's caked. Give them a good shaking every so often as the constant vibration on the boat will tend to compact the powder.

• 1 month later...

If it is a typical hand held dry chemical extingisher like we have on our boat.Look at the trigger(head) of the extingisher. If it is made out of plastic. There is no way to test it except from looking at the guage. If it is made out of metal. You can take it to an extinisher shop and they can pressure test it and reseal it. Quick note about dry checm. extinighers. If you should ever need to use it. Turn it upside down and give it a couple quick shakes before useing. The powder isside will pack together and make the extingisher useless.