Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

what cleaner / wax do you use

I love the 3m and starbrite products. The fiberglass restorer does miracles for mdeium oxidation. I also use Farecla and Starbrite products and both are good.

Still have to try the PTEF polish, but reviews on it are amazing. But is not a cleaner and is only a protectant so is just the final touch.

Next year I will combine it with 3m combounds and cleaners.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest edgewater225

Star brite actually has two (2) "PTEF" polishes;

Premium Marine Polish with PTEF is a pure polish/protectant. It will not clean a hazed/oxidized surface. However, Heavy Duty Cleaner Wax with PTEF is a cleaner wax, as the overly long name suggests. It is a step above rubbing compound in that it is formulated to remove light oxidation and hazing or scuff marks, but it is not as aggrerssive as a rubbing compound. It does leave a protective PTEF barrier coat.

The way to get the most out of the Cleaner Wax is to use it to restore the surface, then seal the restored surface with the Premium Marine Polish w/PTEF.

I love the 3m and starbrite products. The fiberglass restorer does miracles for mdeium oxidation. I also use Farecla and Starbrite products and both are good.

Still have to try the PTEF polish, but reviews on it are amazing. But is not a cleaner and is only a protectant so is just the final touch.

Next year I will combine it with 3m combounds and cleaners.

Edited by edgewater225

I have used Collonite, Rejex, Meguiars Flagship, and most recently Starbrite polish w/PTEF.

They are all good waxes/polishes in their own right, but the Starbrite was to easiest to apply and remove. It also left the fiberglass really slick and shiny, but it hasnt't been long enough to tell how long it will last yet. If it lasts through the summer into the fall, i will likely use it exclusively from here on, considering the ease of applying/removing.

It is my understanding that the carnuba based waxes will not last nearly as long as the polishes that have some form of PTEF, but the polishes are only intended for gelcoat that is in like new condition.

If your gelcoat is in good condition, i don't see a need to apply more than one good coat, and i have seen claims that is does no more to protect than a single coat. I can't imagine applying 2 or 3 coats like some of these guys claim, considering it takes me nearly a full day to put one coat on my 22'CC.......that's inside, outside, and entire bottom of hull (no bottom paint). Waaaay too much work!

What about Nu Finish? Has anyone used this product and if so, what were your results.

I have used Nu Finish off and on for more than 15 years. It puts a nice shine on and lasts the entire season (6-8 months around here). It is easy to apply and you don't have to worry about applying it in direct sunlight. I also use it on my cars. It goes on easily, lasts a long time, and protects very well. I have tried other products but keep coming back to Nu Finish. It also is readily available.

I have been using a 3m product for my preseason waxing for several years. It does a decent job, but would like better results. any suggestions

I have been using meguires cleaner wax followed by a coat of meguires carnuba paste wax put on with a wheel.Still beads up in the spring and the stuff lasts unreal.My boat is 24 years old and the gel coat still looks like new.(Minus the sinker wounds)