Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Mercury Performance Report - 36 Invincible/triple 350 Verados/220 gallons fuel/81 MPH

36 Invincible - triple 350 Verado - 220 gallons of fuel - 78F - saltwater - 6400 RPM -81 MPH

http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_deeper/boat_house_bulletin.php?ID=432&SortBy=Title&Section=outboardChecks&sixCyl350=36

Competition: 38 Fountain - triple 350 Verado - 110 gallons of fuel - 55F - freshwater - 6800 RPM - 80.0 MPH

http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_deeper/boat_house_bulletin.php?ID=420&SortBy=Title&Section=outboardChecks&sixCyl350=36

The Fountain had temperature, freshwater (faster), 400 more RPM (better propping), and less fuel working for it and still fell short of the Invincible's performance numbers. Just observations based on factual data.

Edited by Blue Bayou

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triple Verado 350 SCi - Invincible 36

Dreamer.............

:239_fishing:

Triple 300 Verado/hard top/open array radar/full Stratoglass enclosure, stock props....74 MPH.....I'm underpowered, I know. The only boat to pass me was a 36 Invincible with triple 350 Verado...

The Fountain is about 4000+ lbs heavier.

Not sure which you would consider faster, fresh or saltwater, I've seen it go both ways.

Temperature is a definate advantage to the fountain on those test.

If Invincible could have found a faster prop, I'm sure they would have ran it.

The Invincible is an awesome boat, but its hard to outperform that 38 Fountain on speed and ride.

Both are great boats.

Maybe we should have a RB Slam??? To put the two-three boats in question up to the challenge? We can make it EQUAL, so that there is no BS this boat had this, and this boat did not have that...

I think that the three boats in questions ( Invinvible, Fountain, and Yellowfin ) are the top three boats in there class!!!!

When I have the funds, these three boats will be in my "short list" and I will sea trial each of them too see which one fits "my" needs, as well as every owner should!!

PS: Ken2; I will soon be re powering my Cohasset with a new 4 stroke motor, and you will be the 1st person I contact in regards to the prop that I pick! The reason for this is because I see the dedication that you put into your work, and product. I believe you are like me, you will do things for customers that you would do in your own boat. I do the quality of work in my A/V Jobs just as I would do in my own house!

David

i have a question for you ken or anyone else that knows, i always thought that 3 blade props gave you more top speed and 4 blade gave you more acceleration. my question is, if you have three engines i.e. 3-350's like in this case, why wouldnt you use 3 blade props for more top end? i gotta believe with the 3 engines it would still be able to pop it out of the water just fine... i must be missing something, bc i aslway see multi engine boats with 4 blade props instead of 3....

i have a question for you ken or anyone else that knows, i always thought that 3 blade props gave you more top speed and 4 blade gave you more acceleration. my question is, if you have three engines i.e. 3-350's like in this case, why wouldnt you use 3 blade props for more top end? i gotta believe with the 3 engines it would still be able to pop it out of the water just fine... i must be missing something, bc i aslway see multi engine boats with 4 blade props instead of 3....

Ben, I think one of the answers may lie in the props these guys are running. Smaller diam. than the Verado gearcase can handle (14 5/8" VS 17"), with a pitch that's way out there. Thus the available blade area with a 3-blade is considerably reduced. Run a 4-blade, smaller diam. but big time pitch, and you get that blade area back.

Another thing one has to consider is ventilation, especially at the engine heights these guys mount them at. 4-bladers will maintain "bite" as they near the waters surface better than 3-bladers. And when you run this fast, and want the least drag, those motors are going to be at the highest point they can be, short of robbing top end.

Prop science, as much as it has improved over the years, is still somewhat "black magic". I may be totally wrong here, but that's my take on the subject. :1992_beer_cheer:

And I wish it would warm up!!! :unsure: