Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Starcraft Islander Opinions

I am considering my next boat for inland lakes and rivers. In the past I have always owned fiberglass boats, but I'm thinking seriously about a 22' Starcraft Islander with a 130 Mercruiser I/O. Does anyone have experience with these boars that they would like to share? My thoughts are easy to tow, cheap to run, easy to maintain, although no head-turner or go-fast for sure.

My uses are purely recreational. Weekend lake and river cruising, some lake fishing. I'm getting a little older now, nobody into skiing or tubing (at least until grandkids come along). We've got cabin accommodations where we go, so not really caring about overnighting aboard; but want to be able to stay out all day. With the 4 cylinder and decent size tank I should have good range; and with the cuddy and port-a-pot, along with some good bimini tops, we should be comfortable for the day. I'm not a serious fisherman, but one attraction to this model is trailerability. I may decide to tow it to Florida for some fishing along the nature coast.

What river? The 3.0 pushs my boat well, but one time I had four adults plus myself[the majority were porkers]and it struggled to get up on plane, aside from that it's usually my wife and I and our two dogs plus gear and it does fine. If I had that engine on a 22', I would probably put a hydrofoil on the drive which would help it get on top more easily. It's a light boat as you said, and because of this can be a little skittish at speed on light chop with strong wind, easing the throttle pretty much cures that problem. Nice deep interior on the rear deck, so you don't have any fear of someone falling out. I've had many positive comments from other boaters about the looks of the boat while dockside and the thing most liked was the low weight of the boat vs. fiberglass as almost all had much larger engines to push their heavier boats. Bottom cleaning is easy if you keep up with it, otherwise use muratic acid at the end of the year, or a product called slimey grimey which used with hot water removes all the crud on the bottom very well. My engine is carbed, don't know if the new ones went over to fuel injection yet or not. Starts easily and has a nice low idle for trolling. I had side and rear curtains made for mine, along with a hanging drop behind the convertible top with the plastic window material in it so we can get out in inclement weather. If I still have it next year, I'm going to have a cover made along the lines of a shower cap for it, loose fitting, with an elastic band to cover the gunnels and above, keeping out the spider webs and bird poop which accumulates at an unbeleiveable rate, along with fish flys in season. The islanders are quite popular on the great lakes for salmon and trout fishing, easy to add downriggers and rodholders to the tracks that come factory mounted on the boat. If you buy one, the 1st thing you want to do is recaulk your windshield bases, every one I've seen came leaky, and starcraft doesn't seem to address it, though they pay the dealer to do it as warranty work. It's not a glitzy boat, but it is comfortable and far cheaper than many, I like the aluminum hull, which was a major factor in buying it. The interior is comfortable to lie down in for two, plain but useable. We use the fishwell for a cooler, it is under passenger seat in mine and carry a cooler in the back for fish. If you have specific questions about the islander, I will try to answer them.

I'd cruise the Ohio and Tennessee Rivers. Also probably the Cumberland (out of Barkley Lake). You don't see any Islanders here, but I have been aboard one from Michigan and was pretty impressed at the ride and fuel economy. My last boat was a Rinker 260 Fiesta Vee with 454 Mercruiser I/O. That boat was of excellent quality, but it would eat a hole in your wallet for all day cruising. Plus it was a bear to trailer. Looking to go smaller, lighter, and more fuel efficient. Thanks for your advice.

I have to agree with you about spending the nights on board, I like my creature comforts. Afternoon naps-ok, or maybe one night I could do, but a cabin would be much better. We bought a slide-in pickup camper last fall to put in the back of our truck and take our cabin with us and tow the boat behind. My wife retires later this year and we hope to make good use of them both. If you get an islander, you will really be able tell the difference vs. your old boat when you tow in hilly country, just look out for low overpasses. Saw a picture of a cuddy once that didn't make it. lol.