Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Three Garmin 5208's on 24 foot Boat

I have a 2010 24 foot Bay Boat with a 300 Suzuki motor. On the boat I also have three 5208's. Question-If you were to go out 30 to 40 miles for Grouper--would you shut off the engine while fishing and still keep the 5208's on? My fear is that the 5208's would use too much battery power and I might not be able to start the motor??

I have a 2010 24 foot Bay Boat with a 300 Suzuki motor. On the boat I also have three 5208's. Question-If you were to go out 30 to 40 miles for Grouper--would you shut off the engine while fishing and still keep the 5208's on? My fear is that the 5208's would use too much battery power and I might not be able to start the motor??

Trolling in january?

You have $12k in displays on a "Bay boat" that you want to take 40 miles offshore, and you don't know if you have enough power to keep them going?

This is wrong on so many levels. But if you are worried about battery reserves, either add another battery and keep it charged and offline or carry a portable gennie. You can use it to run the blender; those mojita's don't mix themselves you know. ;)

Trolling in january?

You have $12k in displays on a "Bay boat" that you want to take 40 miles offshore, and you don't know if you have enough power to keep them going?

This is wrong on so many levels. But if you are worried about battery reserves, either add another battery and keep it charged and offline or carry a portable gennie. You can use it to run the blender; those mojita's don't mix themselves you know. ;)

Just wondering what you would do??

Trolling in january?

Just wondering what you would do??

What I did on my Parker was add a third battery that I kept in the "off" position unless it was needed. I didn't draw on it unless neither of my starting batteries would budge the engines. For overnight trips, I carried a honda eu2k generator. I'd run the gennie into the shore power outlet and keep everything running all night long - radar, chartplotter, vhf's, sonar, and lights.

When you are bobbing around 80-100 miles from shore in a 25 foot boat, you want everything on and working.

For shark trolling I just kept the radar off unless it was foggy out. That's what the safety battery was for.

Never had a problem.

My new boat has a generator, I just leave that running from dock till dock.

• 5 weeks later...