Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

First Fishing Pole

He didn't say which Sunday.

:1143_neener_neener_neener:

Is it 5 o'clock yet???

:1992_beer_cheer:

Darn! I missed that. I was assuming he was already 4. If he's only 3, even if only for a few more hours, then I'd say the exact same thing.

I think that Zebco makes a saltwater version of the 33.

And, Ludicrous, thanks for pointing it out that it is 5:00. I'm headed to the fridge right now!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you guys wait 'til 5!

202 or 33 with a 4 1/2-5 foot rod, you can't go wrong.

But when he is ready for some serious fishing, and wants to try his hand at a spinning outfit, DON'T get his a spinning reel with an interchangable handle! Even for us right-handers, spinning reels are meant to be retrieved with the LEFT hand!

I'm a Penn Z-series guy. 714, 712, 710, and 706. Left-hand only... :605_thumbs_up:

And you guys wait 'til 5!

202 or 33 with a 4 1/2-5 foot rod, you can't go wrong.

But when he is ready for some serious fishing, and wants to try his hand at a spinning outfit, DON'T get his a spinning reel with an interchangable handle! Even for us right-handers, spinning reels are meant to be retrieved with the LEFT hand!

I'm a Penn Z-series guy. 714, 712, 710, and 706. Left-hand only... :605_thumbs_up:

You're obviously more adept at using your left hand than I...I can bat or shoot a bow left handed, but for the circular motion of a reel I'd probably feel more natural using my left foot than my left hand!

Rich,

You might be a bit younger than I. When I was a kid, spinning reels were only left-hand retrieve. It was just something you had no choice in, so you learned. I think the reason they were designed that way is because you really control, and feel, the line with your right hand. JMO. :)

4 years old. I think the key here is weight, it has to be light. Even if he is a big 4 year old he is going to wear out, and if he has to sling an adult sized rod he is not going to enjoy it much.

For pure enjoyment a small Zebco say something like a spincast 11 or 22 on a 4 1/2' casting rod. I have a couple of them myself that I use for bream bustin. Total cost maybe $25 to $30. Comes with 8# test line. I have managed a couple of fair sized catfish on'em, but a three pound fish is about what he is going to be able to handle.

Barbie rod, Snoopy, Peanuts or what ever. My grand daughter has several of them, and they are not nearly as good as the small Zebcos.

Buying a nice rod for a 4 year old to "teach" him to take care of it, well I think he needs to be aware that he needs to take care of all his stuff, not just the nice stuff. And he is 4 years old the lesson is to learn to enjoy fishing and being out with dad. Why would you want to give him something that is going to be a reason for correcting him, after all it's suppose to be fun.

4 years old. I think the key here is weight, it has to be light. Even if he is a big 4 year old he is going to wear out, and if he has to sling an adult sized rod he is not going to enjoy it much.

For pure enjoyment a small Zebco say something like a spincast 11 or 22 on a 4 1/2' casting rod. I have a couple of them myself that I use for bream bustin. Total cost maybe $25 to $30. Comes with 8# test line. I have managed a couple of fair sized catfish on'em, but a three pound fish is about what he is going to be able to handle.

Barbie rod, Snoopy, Peanuts or what ever. My grand daughter has several of them, and they are not nearly as good as the small Zebcos.

Buying a nice rod for a 4 year old to "teach" him to take care of it, well I think he needs to be aware that he needs to take care of all his stuff, not just the nice stuff. And he is 4 years old the lesson is to learn to enjoy fishing and being out with dad. Why would you want to give him something that is going to be a reason for correcting him, after all it's suppose to be fun.

I couldn't agree more. When my daughter started at about the same age, I got her a small Zebco. It was easy for her to use and she got the fishing bug real quick. Once she was hooked (pardon the pun), she wanted a spining rod. She needed one since she kept "borrowing" mine. She picked out a decent Penn Silverado and graphite rod which she has taken care of over the past few years, along with the takle box. :605_thumbs_up:

BTW, when I say she got the fishing bug I wasn't kidding.. Here are some pictures of my neighborhood 4th of July party. They had a fishing competition. I brought a "ringer", 7 bass that day. She won first place :239_fishing:

post-63-1238330018_thumb.jpg