Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Electric Concept Boat

Would have been nice if they had included some performance data - - speed, range, etc. :471_confused_face:

That 25' boat will run at 20 kts for one hour or nine kts for four hours. They have a long way to go to get me 100 miles and back for a days fishing. :2261_high:

Would have been nice if they had included some performance data - - speed, range, etc. :471_confused_face:

That 25' boat will run at 20 kts for one hour or nine kts for four hours. They have a long way to go to get me 100 miles and back for a days fishing. :2261_high:

Well, that's just a no-brainer. Four words ~~

Hundred Mile Extension Cord.

:605_thumbs_up:

Well, that's just a no-brainer. Four words ~~

Hundred Mile Extension Cord.

:605_thumbs_up:

:1946_headbanging: Problem solved.

While I applaud their effort, I question it at the same time. Their lead investor, an engineer according to the story, is supposed to have invested $600,000 in this and apparently has a rebuilt boat to show for it. I could deliver a complete set of molds and a proof boat for that kind of money.

There are off the shelf parts used in the EV market that could be adapted to this concept so I can't imagine the money went to R & D. Maybe the figure is exaggerated to make a better story. Or they are trying to reinvent the wheel.

In the comments associated with the story, there was one person who wrote as if he was part of the team. He commented that the battery bank weighed about 3000 lbs. If that's true, it would equate to about fifty 12 volt AMG batteries. The solar array mounted to the hardtop is nowhere near big enough to recharge the battery bank. Maybe the solar charging capability is inflated, again, to make a better story.

I don't see a revolution coming. The battery technology will have to advance to the point where the boat will have range and performance close to what most boats are capable of today. 20 knots top end for an hour just won't cut it. 100 miles max range at 4 knots won't work either. Somewhere down the road, I'm sure there will be replacement electric vessels available the will satisfy the consumer. Perhaps these guys are the start of it.

This is, of course, my opinion based on the info from the story. My opinion, and four bucks will get you a cup of joe at the Starbucks down the way.