Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

MapSource USB data Programer

I have the Garmin Mapsource program along with the data programer that allows the transfering of data to and from the GPS and Computer. It has been working well.

I have recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. The PC is a 64 bit system.

After loading the existing software and upgrades to the new PC I have discovered that the data programer will not work due to the 64 bit system. I verified with Garmin.

Question is, does any one know of a work around?

Thanks

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Garmin Mapsource program along with the data programer that allows the transfering of data to and from the GPS and Computer. It has been working well.

I have recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. The PC is a 64 bit system.

After loading the existing software and upgrades to the new PC I have discovered that the data programer will not work due to the 64 bit system. I verified with Garmin.

Question is, does any one know of a work around?

Thanks

Barry

Communication with the DP is implemented via drivers, there are no 64-bit drivers available from Garmin, as you have found out.

For the most part, the biggest advantage to a 64-bit operating system is the ability to utilize more than 4GB of memory (it's 3GB really, but there are other issues).

If your new laptop has less than 4GB of memory, you might consider reverting to a 32-bit operating system to maintain compatibility. You'd lose a slight amount of performance, however. If you have more than 4GB of memory, you'd be rendering some of that memory "unavailable" by reverting to a 32-bit system.

If this doesn't appeal to you, find a cheap laptop on craigslist and run MapSource (and Vista/XP 32-bit) on it.

Garmin will eventually come around I imagine, but don't hold your breath.

Thanks for the reply.

The new laptop does have 4GB of memory and I do still have the old laptop so I'm not totally dead in the water.

I was told on another forum that I could load a program to add a Virtual Machine to the new laptop. After the new year I will look into that.

Barry

Yes, a virtual machine is indeed an option (there are licensing issues, mind you).

I'm not so sure you'd have access the USB port(s) in question by using a VPC and the host operating system, but you can always try.

I think you should try, but I'll bet a VPC won't work.

• 1 month later...

Barrdy,

Like you, my new desk top is a 64bit and after a long time working on the phone with Garmin we still can't get the PC and GPS to talk to each other. We tried both Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager and Garmin Homeport, no luck.

Did you ever get a virtual machine to work?

Garmin told me to get a older 32 bit to use, like that's going to happen. I really like my old 498C but when it comes time to up grade I don't know weather to stay with Garmin or not.

O2bfishn :239_fishing:

• 1 month later...

I also recently purchased a new PC with 64 bit Windows 7 and could not get the Garmin data card programmer to work until I upgraded the Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional. Using the XP Mode with the Windows 7 Professional version I was able to finally get the card programmer to work and have successfully transferred data from the PC to the Garmin card and from the card to the PC. Hope this helps.