Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What are quality brands of larger yachts?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Pershing a step above of these 4 for constrcution

2. Ferretti is a solid well build boat

3. Lazzara is a high quality low volume builder with its smaller size being 75feet

4. Azimut is the more volume builder (they produce 300+ a year) of the lot

there is the British three also to put here like: Princess (Viking SC), Fairline, Sunseeker

Italy has also more to offer like San Lorenzo, Overmarine Mangusta, Arno Leopard, Possillipo, Rizzardi, Riva also part of Ferretti Group (as Pershing and Ferretti) etc

depends what size you want

What are quality brands of yachts in the 55'-85' ft. range for cruising? I'm talking like the Azimut, Pershing, Lazzara, Ferretti, etc. Any opinions?

Blue,

i work on boats in that range and greater for a living. most of the boats you've named have a sleek look to them but to be honest i personally cant say too much more positive about them. (keep in mind this is a personal opinon) when you look deeply into the plumbling, electrical, finishing work, design, etc. you'll likely be a little dissapointed. another problem is that the majority of the hardware and components on the boat can not be found here in the states (with the exception of Lazzara which is domestic)

if i were to buy a cruising boat in that range, it would probably be a Hatteras

Blue,

You and Homesites Fountain. When is it gonna get done? :471_confused_face:

Homesite should be running a few steps faster than me for sure, he has quad 350s on a very fast hull, and I am sitting with trip 300's. I think a real good race would be the trip 350 Verado Invincible vs. him, but that's up to Invincible and Homesite if they wana run 'em. It would be a fantastic race.

On the yacht topic, I appreciate the honest advice. These are just some options of boats to get us to the outer islands a little more comfortably than the Bayou ;), but I will definitely stay in an Invincible for near island and coastal fishing.

Isn't Hatteras owned by Brunswick now? I've heard the quality has suffered a bit...however I think a big point of interest would be something that cruises in the high 20's, low 30's. The Pershing looks very slick and they are quite the performers, but I've heard bad things about Sunseeker. I can smell sportfishermen boats a mile away, but when it comes to cruisers I really have no clue where to start as far as reputable brands are concerned. I have a buddy that worked on an Azimut and he said it was a POS.

Homesite should be running a few steps faster than me for sure, he has quad 350s on a very fast hull, and I am sitting with trip 300's. I think a real good race would be the trip 350 Verado Invincible vs. him, but that's up to Invincible and Homesite if they wana run 'em. It would be a fantastic race.

On the yacht topic, I appreciate the honest advice. These are just some options of boats to get us to the outer islands a little more comfortably than the Bayou ;), but I will definitely stay in an Invincible for near island and coastal fishing.

Isn't Hatteras owned by Brunswick now? I've heard the quality has suffered a bit...however I think a big point of interest would be something that cruises in the high 20's, low 30's. The Pershing looks very slick and they are quite the performers, but I've heard bad things about Sunseeker. I can smell sportfishermen boats a mile away, but when it comes to cruisers I really have no clue where to start as far as reputable brands are concerned. I have a buddy that worked on an Azimut and he said it was a POS.

Welder, the Nordhavn brand is a fantastic boat, but looking for something more along the lines of sportier....I feel the Nordhavn line is better suited for extremely long trips around the world or across the Atlantic.

hello Pershing can cruise fast 30 knots is a slow cruise speed for them

if you can compare to a Cabo, yes Azimut is not so good but here in the med compared to a Sea Ray the wiring is much better

somone on THT who has also a Spencer owns an Azimut 62S and said he was very satisfied with the boat, infact he ordered a bigger 86S, a friend of myn also bought a 62S this year and he did 900 hours and the boat has been flawless too for him, and my marina neibour had a 42 for 7 years free problem and now has a new 47 and is also fully satisfied with it

so may be Azimut are not so POS as someone says....

Lazzara is different to the builders above unless you are comparing similar sizes, most Lazzara today are only available with pods

of the above I would choose Pershing first in my experience they are normally the better build and each time someone I know bought one the survey had minium complains if any

what size are you looking for, I can help you better if you tell me the size

Edited by PowerYachtBlog