Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Is your boat equipped with AIS

Gglow

I have been wondering how many of you have equipped the boat with AIS.

If so, did you choose a class B box or just a receiver only box?

I am considering this extention to my boat, in view of a major overhaul of electronics.

So, I am looking for feedback on how well it works , to hear about your experiences on the interfacing with the plotter and/ or the radar if you have it as well as the installation tips you might have.

Thanks

The only time I would use AIS is running in the lCW (to see the names of oncoming barge/ship/yacht-traffic). When I am doing extended range trips I make sure to always have a competent helmsman keeping a good watch on the radar. I don't believe in the turn on AIS and go to sleep system.

What I have found is that MarineTraffic.com is pretty nice for daytime on the ICW. Blackberry and IPhone can't support flash, so they can't view it very well. The HTC Hero is flash enabled so you should be able to navigate MarineTraffic.com. It seems like a nice alternative to paying for the AIS receiver only system. Hopefully Google will continue to upgrade the system and make it more effective.

Edited by PatrickG