Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Inboard Motor Hoses

My boat was 10 yo when I bought it. The third year I owned it I replaced most of the engine hoses and all the intake lines on the boat. The engine hoses were OK (FWC) and changed just for piece of mind. I had trouble finding some of the OEM pre-formed hoses so I did not replace them all. I carry a few pieces of hose that can be fitted to patch a bad hose. If the hose feels soft, I would replace it.

All the intake lines (Engines, Heads and AC) showed signs of failure. After putting off the AC line I finally did that one this year. When I took the line out, I bent it in 1/2 and it cracked open. That one could have sunk me.

I think if you look at it from an automotive standpoint, 10 years is a HELL of a long time for any hose, whether it be on the intake side or exhaust side, to last.

If it would be any comfort, what I would do is establish a baseline. Replace every hose (cost not withstanding), then change them all out after 5 years of service, regardless of usage. That way you start from scratch, you know what your dealing with, and you have some real world comparisons when you do your inspections.

One vital area that I think people don't pay nearly the attention they need to is their shut-off valves. Have you ever tried to close a 2" main intake shut-off valve that hasn't been operated in 2 years? Yes, you can go get a tool to assist you, most likely a breaker bar, but what happens if that 2" intake hose that feeds that Yanmar bursts a big hole and you are taking on water at a mile a minute? Between panic and inaccessability, it could be a REAL BEATCH to close that shut-off valve, to the point where it might cause the boat to sink. Silicon spray those damn things at least once a month, and I mean douse them. That goes for the gennie pickup, AC, Livewell, whatever valve is sitting on top of a hole in the bottom of your boat.

So, that's my take. Hoses and shut-off valves. Now, onto the discussion... :2261_high:

Just wanted to get that smiley on here for once...kinda fun! :1992_beer_cheer: :1992_beer_cheer:

Edited by 250 Osprey