Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fuel/water Did I do something Wrong?

twams

Guys, this is not a quetsion of E10!I have been running E30 ( yes, that is 30% ethanol) in Brazil for about 7 years now.Nothing like that ever happened on my optimax.Milky stuff fouling the carbs sounds like gas that should not have been left in there so long anyways.

Brazil, that sounds like the place to be. how's the fishing down there? Can you use your boat all year long? You hit the nail on the head. Leaving the gas the boat tank is the problem. I cannot boat year round. Well I could. But, it's gets to cold for me and most of the fish have migrated south or way off shore for me anyhow. It's my understanding that our unleaded gas is formulated for a shelf life of about 60 to 90 days. Reason being, that it is cycled fast enough that it does not sit at the gas station long enough to get contaminated or break down. My boat sits for about 3 to 4 mouths a year. I did not use enough and/or the right kind of fuel stableizer. I learned the hard way. Gas sitting in the tank collects moisture from condensation and the E10 absorbs moisture from the air also. It also breaks down the gas. I can't remember the technical term used for that. leaves what we call varnish on the inside of the tank. When it drys it flakes off from the gas sloshing around. My gas turned a brownish orange with trash and water. Glad to hear that you are not having any problems with the gas down there. Wow E30, I can't imagin what that would do around here. Damn, Hope I don't have nightmares from the thought of that.

I'm not an expert. To me, this summerizes what I have read from a lot of boaters on this form and others. My machanic is telling me the same. I'm sure others can add knowlege and experences.

Well, time for another Bud. :1992_beer_cheer:

Happy boating to you gfranz

For all of you who made the questionable choice of living in a civilized country as opposed to 365 days of boating a year- and I have to temporarily include myself ,as I am now in cold Northern Italy-I have found a visual solution to the fuel problem .Check below and apply- at the onset of winter!

post-5207-1258899380.jpg