Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fuel/water Did I do something Wrong?

twams

OK, It had been about two months prior that we had the boat out with no problems. I put 10 gallons of new gas in the tank, then take the boat (251 proline with 225 merc) about 500 yards on the trailer to the ramp. I put a shot of fuel treatment in the tank, backed down, pumped bulb and started the engine. I couple mins later the engine stalled and would start and stop... A long story short...sight filter had milky looking fuel, Fuel water separator had no water in it, carbs had water and milky fuel....in the end, i used the bulb and pumped two gallons of this crap out into a bucket and then it ran fine. What the Ham?? The fuel water separator does not seem to work with the milk. Should i have pump the bulb first before i moved the boat or is this just ethanol deal with it??Should i not add fuel treatment before the fuel water separator has a chance to work?

Help please if you have answers.

Fill me in on vacume the tank. After i pumped the 2 gallons of government fuel out, it ran great. Do i need to do anything additional?

I called a local hazzardous waste company and I told them of my problem. They said that they could vacume out my tank. I had to remove the inspection plate on the deck to gain access to the access to the port on top of the tank they do not use the fuel fill hose. Mine is about 3' in diameter. From there they can insert there vacume hose. They said they could try to get to the sides of the tank also. I had my carbs cleaned and replaced fuel seperator and hoses.

The cost was $100 flat fee, plus .45 cent a gallon. For me 60 gallons of gas gone.

It's a little pricey, But I will do most anything to prevent this E-10 problem from happening again. Use fuel treatments formulated for E-10. There have been many posts here about which ones others are using, do a search. The boat left me dead in the water( in shore, Glad I was not out side) 2 times before I found the problem.

E-10 sucks. I'll sure The poeple who make decisions on adding E-10 do not own a boat.

Safe and Happy Boating

Guys, this is not a quetsion of E10!I have been running E30 ( yes, that is 30% ethanol) in Brazil for about 7 years now.Nothing like that ever happened on my optimax.Milky stuff fouling the carbs sounds like gas that should not have been left in there so long anyways.