Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

63 foot Sportfish down in South Carolina

One4water,

Thanks for the link to the pics.

I haven't really been following this saga, as it seemed to me that someone must have done something awful stupid to cause the sinking of a very expensive vessel like that Bert. Running at night, even with clear skies, the radar should have been operating, and it would have picked up the buoy via the reflector.

That being said, and given the plastic construction of the buoy as stated in the Yacht Forums thread, I for the life of me can't see how an impact with that buoy, from any angle, could have resulted in the damage shown in the pics. Should this boat be salvaged, does anyone think, based on the physical evidence, that the actual cause of the hull breach and subsequent damage can be determined?

One4water,

Thanks for the link to the pics.

I haven't really been following this saga, as it seemed to me that someone must have done something awful stupid to cause the sinking of a very expensive vessel like that Bert. Running at night, even with clear skies, the radar should have been operating, and it would have picked up the buoy via the reflector.

That being said, and given the plastic construction of the buoy as stated in the Yacht Forums thread, I for the life of me can't see how an impact with that buoy, from any angle, could have resulted in the damage shown in the pics. Should this boat be salvaged, does anyone think, based on the physical evidence, that the actual cause of the hull breach and subsequent damage can be determined?

I would think the only way they will salvage the boat is if there is insurance investigateing it but I think I read they did not have insurance or soemthing like that.

That liettle girly buouy shouldn't have sunk that boat. Stuffing it's nose into a wave shouldn't have sunk that boat. Striking a larger submerged object could sink the boat, but shouldn't have caused that kind of damage.

Ergo. It appears the boat just fell apart. Maybe it had help, but it shouldn't have happened.

I wouldn't feel safe in one of those anywhere but tied to a dock on a calm day.

But that is just me.