Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anyone know anything about really old crank telephones

I recently recieved a really neat old phone from my grandparents. The only identification that I can find on it show that it is a Northern Electric model N1-A, with a patent date of 1906. Overall it is in great condition, a few broken wires at solder points, but everything appears to be there that should be. Anyone with any insite on value, ect. I am not by any means considering selling it, just curious more than anything.

I recently recieved a really neat old phone from my grandparents. The only identification that I can find on it show that it is a Northern Electric model N1-A, with a patent date of 1906. Overall it is in great condition, a few broken wires at solder points, but everything appears to be there that should be. Anyone with any insite on value, ect. I am not by any means considering selling it, just curious more than anything.

There is a website for everything.

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/

http://www.antiquetelephonehistory.com/indiv.php

I had some field telephones that I bought at a flea market. Probably very similiar internaly. WWII vintage.

The crank provided surge electricity to operate the ringer(s) at the other. Two D-size batteries provided operational power. I'd expect your phone would draw main power from the lines just like a modern phone.

That's all I got. Have fun!

I had some field telephones that I bought at a flea market. Probably very similiar internaly. WWII vintage.

The crank provided surge electricity to operate the ringer(s) at the other. Two D-size batteries provided operational power. I'd expect your phone would draw main power from the lines just like a modern phone.

That's all I got. Have fun!

Were yours TA-312's?

ta312_800.jpg

The WWII - 1950's vintage is about right for the start of their use, but those things were around until the early 90's at least-they may even still use them. Amazing how long something so simple can remain in use.

Edited by FishinNutz

Were yours TA-312's?

.... Amazing how long something so simple can remain in use.

No. Those are NASA tech compared to what I had. lol. They had a leather bag and you just dropped the handset into the empty section. One of them had a WWII date and the other had early '50's but they were otherwise identical models.

One of them wouldn't transmit clearly. After I had replaced the internal wiring I identified the problem by swapping out the internal mouthpiece parts of the handset. I replaced the bad one with an identical piece from an old WesternElectric handset. I guess there was a lot of commonality in the technology from those days!

No. Those are NASA tech compared to what I had. lol. They had a leather bag and you just dropped the handset into the empty section. One of them had a WWII date and the other had early '50's but they were otherwise identical models.

One of them wouldn't transmit clearly. After I had replaced the internal wiring I identified the problem by swapping out the internal mouthpiece parts of the handset. I replaced the bad one with an identical piece from an old WesternElectric handset. I guess there was a lot of commonality in the technology from those days!

Never seen one of these before I looked up the TA-312 pic, but yours must be an EE-8.

ee8_leavitt_400.jpg

... yours must be an EE-8.

Those have canvas. Mine must be the officer's edition because they have leather cases and straps. (joke) Otherwise they apear to be identical.

I don't have them anymore. I gave them to my nephew as a birthday present when he was about 15. He ran the line from the house to a camper my sister let him sleep in (just before cell use went viral) in Royal Palms. The joke was on him - now she could wake him up when it was raining!

I brought it down in my carry-on. The screeners were fascinated. I think they wanted to play with them but there were too many people. Ah... simpler days.

• 4 weeks later...

My uncle used one to catch fish... Somehow he had a power cord hooked up to it and would drop the cord in a small pond and crank the handle. It would generate enough electricity to stun small bream and catfish. I thought it was a hoot. But not nearly as fun as the blasting caps..

Good times in South GA!