Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

NEED HELP PLEASE!

My wife is in the Navy and will be transfering May 2010. The two places are Japan for 3 yrs or 29 Palms Califorina for 4 yrs. I currently own a 34 Fountain and I won't be able to take it to either place. Should I try and sell it or should I try and store it. If I were to store it what kind of issues do you think I will run into after this amount of time? Do they make places to store stuff for this amount of time? Tell me what you think or what you have had to do in the same situation. Does any know of anyone needing a 34 Fountain in great shape? Thanks for any thoughs you can offer. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

Thanks,

NO J.O.B.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Edited by NO J.O.B.

My wife is in the Navy and will be transfering May 2010. The two places are Japan for 3 yrs or 29 Palms Califorina for 4 yrs. I currently own a 34 Fountain and I won't be able to take it to either place. Should I try and sell it or should I try and store it. If I were to store it what kind of issues do you think I will run into after this amount of time? Do they make places to store stuff for this amount of time? Tell me what you think or what you have had to do in the same situation. Does any know of anyone needing a 34 Fountain in great shape? Thanks for any thoughs you can offer. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

Thanks,

NO J.O.B.

I would go to Japan, 29 Palms sucks, but you could use the boat on the west coast and they will pay you to ship it as a part of your house hold goods allowance.

They won't ship it weights to much. I thought about the drive to the coast but more worried about the amount of money to store it.

I know a lot of charter Capt. store there boats in a climate controlled storage for the winter after that I don't no and the cost ouch. Eyeball lives over in Japan on THT. Southern Calif. has great fishing down the coast and into Mex. Wish you the best bro.Whats a boat like your's worth right now?

The cost to ship it or tow it is probably less than one year's storage, especially when you factor in extraneous costs like shrinkwrapping, misting & winterizing, new tires at the end if it's to be stored on the trailer, new batteries, working out all the bugs will cost after it's sat that long, too, and on top of that your electronics will be getting a bit dated.

Personally, I'd take it. The drive to the coast is really more like 2.5 hours, but even that's not bad, and the fishing is good. My second choice would be to sell it, with storage being a distant third.

Edited by FishinNutz

They won't ship it weights to much. I thought about the drive to the coast but more worried about the amount of money to store it.

You can do a partial DITY move and they will pay you to tow it.

They paid me to transport my boat from NC to VA.

I had 125000 pounds. My boat weighed 4000 or so. I still had 9000 for furniture.

http://www.military.com/Resources/Resource...Y_Specifics.htm