Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boston Whaler Dauntless 16ft. 90hp. Enough juice to ski behind?

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't plan on pulling a full size adult on a slalom ski on a regular basis, but you should be fine to pull them on a pair of skies one person at a time as long as the boat as a sufficient pylon to attach the rope to. If you have lifting eyes on the transom I would just get a tow bridal so that you are spreading the weight between both sides, this will also allow the boat to track much better.

She's got enough power to pull a slalom, I could ski behind it anyway. What you really have to be careful of is that the boat doesn't have much mass and momentum. A strong skier on a slalom can snatch the stern around and cause you to lose control of the boat. If you keep it tame and sane and the skier does the same, it will work OK at a recreational level. Not nearly strong enough for competition level skiing but fine for an afternoon of fun.

That boat and motor should be fine for recreational slalom skiing. In the late '60s early 70's I slalom skied nearly every day in the summer behind a 15 ft runabout with an 85 hp Johnson. Deep water slalom start were not a problem and I am 6' 4" 200+ lbs. The boat driver could certainly feel me cutting, but there was no real control issue. Also pulled 6 skiers a couple of times with that boat (all started on two skis). These days people think they need way more hp than they really do for most boating activities.

• 2 weeks later...