Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Survey or Not?

I am about to pull the trigger on a Dealer Demo boat ('08 boat).

I sea trialed yesterday, and confirmed it had 60 hours on the engines (advertised at 30...though it could have been an old post on Yachtworld).

Anyway, looking for advice on whether or not I should have the boat surveyed, based upon those hours?

Thanks

If you are getting a loan for the purchase you will require insurance and will need a survey. Some insurance companies also require one before they will issue a policy, even if you pay cash for the boat. But beyond that it depends on the boat. What are you getting?

It also depends on your ability to do the stuff a surveyor would do. After hanging around boats nearly all my life I probably wouldn't get a survey unless I was forced to by a bank or insurance company, but then I probably won't be buying any 40 footers anytime soon.

Take a look at Pascoe's website www.yachtsurvey.com to get some idea of the kind of stuff a surveyor will be looking for.

Don't know what boat you are buying but your question (I believe) should be "Do you know a good surveyor?" and not "Do I need a surveyor?"

While I admittedly have been looking at much older boats that the one you are looking at, I could have ended up buying a boat with a lot of problems if it had not been for the advice I received from the surveyors.

Good luck with your new boat!

Don't know what boat you are buying but your question (I believe) should be "Do you know a good surveyor?" and not "Do I need a surveyor?"

While I admittedly have been looking at much older boats that the one you are looking at, I could have ended up buying a boat with a lot of problems if it had not been for the advice I received from the surveyors.

Good luck with your new boat!

The boats an Edgewater 318 cc .

I am trading my Scout 280 Abaco (going from Express to Center)

I will be financing a portion of this boat, so the Surveyor will be a must. I am on Cape Cod, any recommendations/resources I could search for a good surveyor?

The boats an Edgewater 318 cc .

I am trading my Scout 280 Abaco (going from Express to Center)

I will be financing a portion of this boat, so the Surveyor will be a must. I am on Cape Cod, any recommendations/resources I could search for a good surveyor?

FYI I have never ever heard of needing a survey on a boat in order to procure financing; and insurance companies only require a survey if over 10 years old. Your boat has a long and fine warranty and if you are dealing with a well known and respectable dealer. I think you are throwing money away by hiring a surveyor on this one.

Edited by Erie Skipper

FYI I have never ever heard of needing a survey on a boat in order to procure financing; and insurance companies only require a survey if over 10 years old. Your boat has a long and fine warranty and if you are dealing with a well known and respectable dealer. I think you are throwing money away by hiring a surveyor on this one.

I respectfully disagree

The boat could have structural problems or water infiltration or any of many serious problems that have been hidden by the present owner, or maybe that the present owner does not know.

Also, surveys on newer boats tend to be much less expensive than for older boats

Surveys do provide peace of mind

Unfortunately I do know know of a good surveyor in that area.

Always survey. While this is not tha same as your situation, about 6 years ago I purchased a 1990 Proline 30' from a repo yard. Paid cash as is. Had a mech look at motors, thought I knew enough about hulls. Transom was solid and had newer bottom paint. Old owner apparently hit something and had repaired and painted. After six months thier patch came off bow keel as I was coming out of Balto. Harbor. Made it back home and beached boat but still sank at pier. Total loss.