Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Automatic Bilge Pump Wiring

Hello all,

I've got a quick question about wiring a new bilge pump. The pump is a rule 750 auto which has the float switch built in. The manual wiring is straght forward and runs through a switch.

My question has to do with the automatic positive wire. The boat has two batteries that are run through a battery switch. My opinion is that the auto function of the pump should be hot wired in a manner so that reguardless of battery switch position the pump should pump if the float switch is triggered. It should be able to run off either battery as well. How should I wire the auto positive wire?

Thanks,

Chris.

Edited by ndb8fxe

Hello all,

I've got a quick question about wiring a new bilge pump. The pump is a rule 750 auto which has the float switch built in. The manual wiring is straght forward and runs through a switch.

My question has to do with the automatic positive wire. The boat has two batteries that are run through a battery switch. My opinion is that the auto function of the pump should be hot wired in a manner so that reguardless of battery switch position the pump should pump if the float switch is triggered. It should be able to run off either battery as well. How should I wire the auto positive wire?

Thanks,

Chris.

Hello all,

Thanks,

Chris.

I assume you have a selective on/off/1/2/both battery switch. You can hook your positive of the pump to the always hot lug of the switch. Otherwise, connect the pump directly to one of the batteries.

The advantage of wiring from the switch is that you have two batteries working the pump in your absence! :rolleyes:

I assume you have a selective on/off/1/2/both battery switch. You can hook your positive of the pump to the always hot lug of the switch. Otherwise, connect the pump directly to one of the batteries.

The advantage of wiring from the switch is that you have two batteries working the pump in your absence! :rolleyes:

It's an off/1/2/all switch. Should there be an always hot lug that gives power from both batteries? I haven't opened the switch yet. I'd wire it directly to the one of the batteries, but would like to be able to draw from both batteries if needed.

If this boat is stored on a trailer you don't need the auto function at all. If it is stored in the water a 750 GPM pump is way too small.

Yes, the boat is on a trailer, but feel that the automatic bilge is important for the occasional weekend/overnights that I'll leave the boat in the water when vacationing. This is just docking the boat in the evening at hotel marina and being back out in the morning. Maybe once or twice a year.

Thanks for the replies.

It's an off/1/2/all switch. Should there be an always hot lug that gives power from both batteries? I haven't opened the switch yet. I'd wire it directly to the one of the batteries, but would like to be able to draw from both batteries if needed.

Yes, the boat is on a trailer, but feel that the automatic bilge is important for the occasional weekend/overnights that I'll leave the boat in the water when vacationing. This is just docking the boat in the evening at hotel marina and being back out in the morning. Maybe once or twice a year.

Thanks for the replies.

There is no "always on both batteries" lug on a manual switch. There are, however, two "always hot" terminals - one where each battery is connected.

If you're going to put it on a switch, pick a battery and attach it to that bolt with a nicely crimped ring over the bolt behind a washer. I'd install a breaker appropriate to the pump as close as possible to the switch.

One night in the water could sink it - be safe!

Edited by Mickey