Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Are nick-names just a southern thing?

Got a phone call from my old friend Blade the other day. Blade is not his real name, but a nick-name he picked up after he almost killed himself with a pocket knife when he was just a kid. After the phone call, I started thinking about nick-names I have heard over the years. (Yeah, I know, I'm a regular Albert "Hair" Einstien sometimes, but I keep myself amused most of the time.)

Probably my all-time personal record for nick-names in one gathering was at a dinner table I enjoyed one year in duck camp. Seated around the table were Tater, Rabbit, Free, Blade, Monroe, Byrdman, me, and Wormy. As a matter of fact, I met few people on that trip that seemed to go by there God given name. Must have been the geographical area we were in.

Do people in other parts of the world have nick-names? Anybody here from Up North, and know anybody with a nick-name?

pat

Cousins husband is called "Toad". He said everyone on his dead end street where he grew up (in MD) had (has) a nickname.

My brother is Francis and he was always called Skip and still is. To this day I do not know where the name Skip came from. Most don't know his name is Francis..... Let's keep this between you and me...OK?

I'm in my early 60's..back in my day I was Rick Dog or Tricky Rick, friends were Brother Bill, Brother Clark (last name), and a guy named Snooker...

Nowadays, all my son (Buzz) friends names are Lightning, Possum, Beavis, Chucky, Moat.....just a few I can remember..