Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

calm seas vs busy seas

Rusty

I was just looking at Jupitor inlet cam. Why is it the seas in general are much calmer on the coast of Florida and caribean than lets say for example Masonboro inlet in NC. I know Jupitor inlet and surounding waters has it's days not to be there. But, it looks nice today.

obervation or imagination :504_shrugging:

Rusty

Lots of factors at play affect the state of the seas at any time.

• Tide state - - rising, falling, or slack
  • Depth and width of the inlet
  • Contour of the bottom
  • Wind direction and speed
  • Offshore weather affecting wave heights
  • Prevailing currents on both ends of the inlet
  • And probably lots more I'm not thinking of right now

As I'm sure we've all seen, any given inlet can be glass smooth right now and totally wild and crazy a half hour later.

But a nice smooth inlet sure is a pretty sight, huh ?

Ya'll are welcome to come on down and get first hand experience. As an added bonus, there is bait everywhere and the mullet run is about to start. The Jupiter Inlet has been pretty calm most of the summer. But, as Boz suggested, it does have it's days. To add to the excitement, there is a shoal that moves around just outside the inlet and when the tide is right you can get some pretty ugly standing waves and rollers in the inlet. There was a picture floating around on the 'net a couple of years ago of a 20'-25' CC that was pointed at the sky with water crashing over the bow and around the sides with people hanging from the t-top in the Jupiter Inlet.

Ya'll are welcome to come on down and get first hand experience. As an added bonus, there is bait everywhere and the mullet run is about to start. The Jupiter Inlet has been pretty calm most of the summer. But, as Boz suggested, it does have it's days. To add to the excitement, there is a shoal that moves around just outside the inlet and when the tide is right you can get some pretty ugly standing waves and rollers in the inlet. There was a picture floating around on the 'net a couple of years ago of a 20'-25' CC that was pointed at the sky with water crashing over the bow and around the sides with people hanging from the t-top in the Jupiter Inlet.

I would love to be there. My dad lives in Titusville. I have given some thought of pulling the boat down that way. I don't know , thats a long ride pulling a boat. The bright aqua green water is purdy. I did see the picture of that boat in the inlet.

Wrong place - wrong time. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

That will tighten the ol sphincter up.

Have a great day down there.