Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Removing gas/water from tank

I need to remove 60 gallons of gas/water from my 80 gallon tank. I'm looking at buying a electric gas pump from the auto store and Pumping it into a 55 gallon barrel. Any experiences for what works and what dosn't work?? Do I need to ground myself? if so how?

Any advice is welcome. Dont want to start a fire with me being the french fry

Saftey is my 1st concern!!

:504_shrugging:

Thanks

Rusty

regular ole electric fuel pump from napa will do the trick, just wire in an ignition protected switch between it & your power source, or have really long wires to get the battery well away from the tanks. I work in an equipment equipment rental shop, and we use those all the time when customers put the wrong type of fuel into equipment. Good rule of thumb, you can use a gasoline pump for diesel in this application if abosolutely, but don't go the other way around, the pump will die quickly if you do.

Oh, in the case of a boat, you may find that it is much easier to just siphon it out using your fuel pickup, you will of course need to bypass any inline water seporating filters for this to work.