Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Video camera help

I have learned that those "power protection plans" from Best Buy, Circuit City, ect are worthless. Its just one last way for them to get an extra 50 bucks out of you. They will ALWAYS try to wiggle out of replacing the product.

I always tell them to stick that "power protection plan" where the sun doesn't shine. Thenagain I haven't bought anything from those big electronics retailers in years. I always go online to do my research and purchasing. This way I can avoid the sales hole trying to make commission by selling me every little thing.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright Chris sorry for the delay but here are the memory cards that I can get from the same distributor as the camera (less s&h). Let me know what you think, and also check out the PM I sent you regarding prices.

Here are some SDHC Memory cards to choose from, The first few two are JVC recommended, but the ladder few meet the class requirements.

SANDISK CLASS 6

SDSDX3-016G-A31

SANDISK CLASS 4

SDSDHV016GA15

KINGSTON CLASS 4

SD4/16GB

P-SDHC16G4-FS

PNY CLASS 4

Q6305A

PNY CLASS 6

P-SDHC16G6-DVDC

How would you rate these two cameras? I bought one in the 1st link for the Admiral, mostly to video the grandkids. Bought the second one for the boat. UPS just dropped them off yesterday. I haven't even opened the carton yet, but will in the next few days. Are these decent, or should I return them for something better?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6006...#specifications

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6006...p.html#features

I would have to agree with Limbofish, keep the non water resistant camera and take good care of it. You should be fine.

David

I have learned that those "power protection plans" from Best Buy, Circuit City, ect are worthless. Its just one last way for them to get an extra 50 bucks out of you. They will ALWAYS try to wiggle out of replacing the product.

I always tell them to stick that "power protection plan" where the sun doesn't shine. Thenagain I haven't bought anything from those big electronics retailers in years. I always go online to do my research and purchasing. This way I can avoid the sales hole trying to make commission by selling me every little thing.

Sometimes I will agree that the "warranties" are not always a good investment, but on big ticket items such as TV's I must say that they are a good investment. We do a ton of work for ( NEW/BB & other extended warranty companies ) in our area, and some of the repair bills for Plasma/LCD sets are unreal. In these cases I would recommend a exended warranty b/c of the fact that most sets will break after the 1 year MFG warranty, and the repair cost will exceed the value of the warranty. The parts on these newer LCD/Plasma sets are alot more that the traditional TV's that most people are use to. Just my honest opionion as a TV Repairman.

David

I would have to agree with Limbofish, keep the non water resistant camera and take good care of it. You should be fine.

David

Thanks for the reply, and I hope my post was not taken as a thread hijack. I mentioned those cameras as a potential purchase for Chris, although I did also buy them both. Gave the non waterproof one to the Admiral, who had been talking about getting something for g-kids stuff. Might keep the other one just to leave on the boat. Might make for some fun videos sometime, andit is supposedly waterproof to depth of 10', so I can think of some uses for that too.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply, and I hope my post was not taken as a thread hijack. I mentioned those cameras as a potential purchase for Chris, although I did also buy them both. Gave the non waterproof one to the Admiral, who had been talking about getting something for g-kids stuff. Might keep the other one just to leave on the boat. Might make for some fun videos sometime, andit is supposedly waterproof to depth of 10', so I can think of some uses for that too.

Thanks again.

No problem at all. Most manufacturers make under water cases for there cameras, as well as weather resistant cases. That would be the way I would go if I was buying one for myself. We have an older Hitachi camcorder here that was a two piece unit, and the lense part could be submerged in upto 30 feet of water. I need to pull it out and check and see if it still works!!

Chris picked his camera out, and should be receiving it sometime today.

David

Hey David,

I got the camera today and its great, very easy to use and nice and small just as you described. We are already using it and even my wife can work it...LOL.

Thanks for all the help you provided, it made the desision process very easy for me and the price was right.

Thanks again!

If anyone needs a camcorder give DJWILLIAMS a shout. I highly recomend him. Who needs that rat race at Best Buy? I believe he deals in all types of audio and video equipment.