Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Video camera help

Ok so now that I have a new baby I guess its time for that video camera to document some of his actions. This way me and the wife can watch them when he goes off to college and laugh and cry.

I don't want anything to complicated or big or expensive. I'm not sure the best recording method to buy weather it be DVR, DVD, memory card, VHS or Beta.

Ok I'm kidding about the VHS and Beta. :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Any suggestions?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so now that I have a new baby I guess its time for that video camera to document some of his actions. This way me and the wife can watch them when he goes off to college and laugh and cry.

I don't want anything to complicated or big or expensive. I'm not sure the best recording method to buy weather it be DVR, DVD, memory card, VHS or Beta.

Ok I'm kidding about the VHS and Beta. :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Any suggestions?

Go with a large capacity memory card recording mechanism. No moving parts to break. Loads video thumbnails to an edit system immediately The camera should be "Hi-Def", 16x9 widescreen. There are many fine editing pgms out there and I'll be happy to walk you through the jungle. I am a video expert in shooting and editing. I filmed my daughter's life, converted 18 years to DVD's. I edit a family Christmas video annually. Always a crowd pleaser.

PM me and I'll send you a link of my marine industry work.

Thanks David, thats what I was looking for. When it comes to boating stuff I'm pretty good but when it comes to choosing cameras I'm an idiot.

I don't really have a preference as to the recording but Limbo seems to think a memory card is the best way to go. I think I agree.

I guess what I am looking for is the ability to record a couple hours of footage and when I want to watch it I can plug the camera into the A / V jacks on my TV. Then remove the recorded information and store it for future viewing.

Chris,

Sorry for the delay my computer was acting crazy last night. Here are some one's I picked out for you. Also another place to go is to www.camcorderinfo.com from there you can sort it out by type, and read full reviews about each product. If you find something that you like let me know and I will get you a price. ( I may be able to save you some money ) Also let me know if you see another model that you like too! The camcorder info site is like this site, tons and tons of info!

Samsung

HMX-H100N

HMX-R10 BLACK / SILVER

HMX-H105

JVC

GZ-MG630RUS (Has an internal hard drive, but external cards can be used as well)

I just bought one of the Flip video cameras so I have something to take fishing with me and is simple to use. WOW, it is really cool and simple to use. Probably not quite the level of camera you are looking for but great for quick videos without all the fuss, fits in your pocket and less than $150. You can also make still prints from any of the images you capture on video. Has a flip out UBS that plugs directly into your computer and holds about 2 hours of video. I belong a fishing club and we need photos for our fishing contest; makes it so much easier when I'm out alone to capture the "proof"!

I just bought one of the Flip video cameras so I have something to take fishing with me and is simple to use. WOW, it is really cool and simple to use. Probably not quite the level of camera you are looking for but great for quick videos without all the fuss, fits in your pocket and less than $150. You can also make still prints from any of the images you capture on video. Has a flip out UBS that plugs directly into your computer and holds about 2 hours of video. I belong a fishing club and we need photos for our fishing contest; makes it so much easier when I'm out alone to capture the "proof"!

I have sold a few of the Flip camera's and they are very nice. If there is enough interest, maybe Wiley could do a power buy on these?

David

Hey DJ I think I'm digging the JVC in blue, but not just because of the blue. Saw it on Amazon when I did the search.

Looking at the stats it seems you can use it as a still shot camera as well....I like that so we don't have to carry two cams.

But does the video store only on the hard drive or can it be stored on an external card? I couldn't locate that info.

Here is what I wish to avoid......the need to hook the cam to the computer to extract video. I can't stand having things hooked to the computer. It seem like every time I try this I have major problems. You should see what I did to the last fax/copy machine that ran off the computer...ever see the movie Office Space? LOL ...Now I have an old fasion stand alone manual fax.

Let me know what you think. I will be happy to buy the cam from you and shoot a fellow forum brother a little biz even if you have to charge me MSRP.