Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Repower

I am repowering a 92 Mako, I had two stroke Yamaha 130's, I have to go with 4 stroke twin 115's, I would like to go with twin 150's but they exceed my HP rating. Does anyone have the 115's and how do they like them?

How long is your boat and what is the rating?

My boat was rated for 140s and I put 150s on, no problem. In fact, it was a great decision.

No way would I go from 130s to 115s just over the rating on the hull plate.

My boat was rated for 140s and I put 150s on, no problem. In fact, it was a great decision.

No way would I go from 130s to 115s just over the rating on the hull plate

Most boats do run better with a little more HP than they are rated for, as long as you don't get too heavy with the engines. That being said though, exceeding the capacity plate rating can get you banned off the water and fined if you have a vessel inspection, and it will most likely void your insurance. If you are unlucky enough to have a boating accident, the prosecuting attorney will portray you as a reckless and non-comforming wild man who is a danger to those around you. You'll lose, no matter what actually happened.

Now, I'd never suggest this, but custom capacity plates can be ordered over the internet ;)

• 3 weeks later...
What is reason you need to go with twins and why 4 stroke? In general, yuor will get more speed, better fuel econmy, and lower maintenance costs by switching to a single 22 or 235.

you could go with twin 130 evinrude e-tecs or 140 fourstroke suzuki's. being an older boat near it's hp limit also be carefull of the wieght on the back of your boat. twin 150 4 strokes are alot more weight than twn 130 2 stroke yamaha's