Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Battery recommendations: sailboat

AGM is more than twice the price of a standard deep discharge battery.

Make sure you need the power - do you discharge your standard battery during normal use?

Otherwise, save your $$$ and buy a standard, good quality deep discharge battery. It will last nearly as long with proper maintenance. Look for them on sale at your local BassPro for $90 or so.

Mickey

Can't use a normal wet cell on a sailboat, since the boat heeling may cause acid to spill. A normal battery box is not spillproof enough to endure a knockdown. Some kind of sealed cell battery is essential. I am open to other possibilities than AGM (and they are expensive) but if I can't safely hold it upside-down and shake it I can't use it in this application.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Can't use a normal wet cell on a sailboat, since the boat heeling may cause acid to spill. A normal battery box is not spillproof enough to endure a knockdown. Some kind of sealed cell battery is essential. I am open to other possibilities than AGM (and they are expensive) but if I can't safely hold it upside-down and shake it I can't use it in this application.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I owned a J-24 for 10 years with a lead acid battery in a battery box and never had a problem with a leak, even with the rail buried pointed upwind in a race. The sealed lead $100 batteries don't leak unless they're overcharged or discharge at a rate that causes pressure inside the battery.

I'm sure that, in the weather that I have found myself in my powerboat, I have shaken my batteries very hard with no leaks. They're strapped down in a plastic tray with no apparent leakage. Power or sail, active motoring activity shakes batteries and puts them into unusual attitudes.

Enjoy whatever you purchase. $100 buys a lot of beer or a few nice bottles of wine...

I owned a J-24 for 10 years with a lead acid battery in a battery box and never had a problem with a leak, even with the rail buried pointed upwind in a race. The sealed lead $100 batteries don't leak unless they're overcharged or discharge at a rate that causes pressure inside the battery.

I'm sure that, in the weather that I have found myself in my powerboat, I have shaken my batteries very hard with no leaks. They're strapped down in a plastic tray with no apparent leakage. Power or sail, active motoring activity shakes batteries and puts them into unusual attitudes.

Enjoy whatever you purchase. $100 buys a lot of beer or a few nice bottles of wine...

I have considered sealed lead acid, but had a bad experience with one several years ago (battery burst after a couple of years service and without warning, causing damage to the boat). I think my experience was just a freak manufacturing defect, but have been shy of them ever since.

Research continues. I probably won't replace the battery for awhile yet; maybe I'll find a super-sale. I agreen the AGM price tag is a bit off-putting, but as it should only happen every 8 years or so it isn't too bad.