Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Bringing The Sand Bar Back Here?

My vote: leave things the way they are, at least as far as the Sandbar goes.

I'm not as active here as on the old THT, but that has nothing to do with content... I just don't spend as much time online as I did. But on the whole, I think I like this forum better than the old THT.

As for rumors and vendor bashing, I'm basically in favor of them. The vendors have plenty of places to tell their story unopposed. Vetting posts relating to vendor products (more than required to avoid slander) tends to inhibit discussion.

One other note: Splitting the forum into many sub-boards has its downside. For example, I think you could eliminate the Boating Safety form. As important as that is, it intertwines with all the other topics to such a degree that making a place for it probably tends to reduce safety-related posts.

I don't have the time to check every sub-board, and I suspect many other users have the same problem.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the coming months ReelBoating will slowly lose any resemblance to boating forums I've created in the past.

Unlike THT which has a format known to encourage rumours and vendor bashing I will be taking a totally different approach and working with the Vendors in helping test and improve their products.

THT might have a ton of visitors but comments from many in the industry are less than favorable.

Now, how are topics too limited? People can certainly comment good and bad here on RB as long as their claims are warranted.

I am thinking now perhaps a few off-topic forums (minus the bikini pix) might do well here. Still open to comments.

I understand the purpose of this forum and mission is different from THT. I am also tired of some topics were a 15 year old boat is messed up and somehow it is the manufacture fault. I would expect those to be skunked. What happens if I want to purchase brand X and ask for the good bad and ugly and let me seperate the wheat from the chaff? I would hope a positive and negative points to be discussed.

What I now find is... ReelBoating is apparently maybe a bit too strict on-topic and could use some fun (it's my style remember). Off topic discussions encourage a sense of community, inspire new topics, and increase memberships.

This is the part of the post I was reacting. I want to participate in your forum I check everyday for new topics and posts but they just seem to die.

I understand the purpose of this forum and mission is different from THT. I am also tired of some topics were a 15 year old boat is messed up and somehow it is the manufacture fault. I would expect those to be skunked. What happens if I want to purchase brand X and ask for the good bad and ugly and let me seperate the wheat from the chaff? I would hope a positive and negative points to be discussed.

By all means, good and bad posts about any subject are encouraged. The problem I've seen in the past is some anonymous guy named trout-head or something goes open-season bashing a product and his word is taken literally. 80% of the time a vendor will not reply by instructions from their bosses or lawyers etc.

There is no need to open a THT2. RB will begin to build it's own identity not on simply having posts on boating and fishing but having the membership become more involved with marine products, development etc.

I've met the Vendors in person that are often bashed over THere. They are good people who try their best to offer great produts. When a problem arises they want to know and correct it. Sure, there are some bad seeds - but they are soon outed.

As for threads dying - I actually think RB is doing quite well for just being 4 or so months online. I wasn't able to make any mention of this site during my no-compete so that hurt. Also, it'll be another 2-3 months before the search engines begin to pick up all the threads here. By this time next year RB should be competing on the same level as other boating community sites.

Stick with it. I think you'll like the direction we are going. If you're in a bad mood or want to complain there's always THT. :D

:rb-rules:

Also. ReelBoating's BBB (The Better Boating Bureau) is a place where people can freely discuss problems they may have had with ANY marine product or service. I moderate that forum because of those who simply use the hit-n-run tactics we've all seen in the past.

The difference is... if at all possible I will try to get to the bottom of the issue (if necessary). Unlike other forums that'll just let the kettle boil.