Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Sleep apnea

I believe I have it, at least that's what my lovely wife says and I am tired all day.

Years ago it was no problem. I'm 52 now. I thought it was just getting older.

Met a new contractor yesterday and we got to talking about falling asleep while driving and the subject came up.

He said he has sleep apnea, they did a study over night with him and he got a , I think it's called, "Sea Pac" . Any way he said very proudly that after sleeping with it on the first night, the next morning he woke up a new man, a completely different person.

Maybe that's what I need. Below is a link to the subject.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

http://www.musclemagfitness.com/disease-an...nt-options.html

My Dad has it...the machine is a CPAP. He was having the same type issues. What made him finally go to the doc was that his legs "felt like they were filled with lead" and a couple of trips home from work where he didn't remember how he got there. (Dad doesn't drink)

He makes the same claims as your friend about being a new man.

My wife's cousin just died from sleep apnea. He did not like wearing the mask, and last month when his Mom tried to wake him up, he was un-responsive and not breathing. They could not revive him at the hospital.

It can cause all kinds of problems (other than death) with your heart and brain function.

Get checked and take it seriously...

I have it, and wear the c-pap. I would highly recommend getting tested, and getting the machine. The sleep study is a little uncomfortable, but I just took a xanex to calm me down. But once you are done, they will tell you how many times you quit breathing during the night (mine # was around 500). If you have any questions just let me know.

David

I have it, and wear the c-pap. I would highly recommend getting tested, and getting the machine. The sleep study is a little uncomfortable, but I just took a xanex to calm me down. But once you are done, they will tell you how many times you quit breathing during the night (mine # was around 500). If you have any questions just let me know.

David

David,

How do you feel now in the morning and during the day, "Like a new Man"?

Do you have more energy?

There is also an outpatient procedure that repairs the natural arch that used to be in your soft palette. This keeps the airway open and no machine required. I tried several machines and masks, just could not do it. Changed my mattress and my pillow and that fixed it. Wife says I still snore, but do not stop breathing like I used to. If it flares up again, I plan to have the out patient procedure.

My brother has it and wears the machine. Has for years.

Before he got it we were on a fishing trip together and I got the pleasure of listening to him "sleep". It was scary. He would choke, gag, stop breathing, then finally wake up, start breathing & go back to sleep--repeatedly all night.

He said the same thing as the others have said here. When he got the machine and started sleeping all night he felt 100% better.

My brother is fat and used to drink. I also have a younger skinny cousin who has it. He tried the machine and ultimately had the surgery . I think it worked for him.

Go get tested.

Ask your doctor to send you for a sleep study. You'll spend the night. That's what I did. I now use a CPAP (constant positive airway pressure) machine every night. It's amazing how different you'll feel. No more snoring, either. Sleep apnea can kill you, as stated earlier in this thread.

You'll never regret it. It doesn't take long to get used to the device. I never sleep without it!

Jeff