Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Ladders

I have been putting the keys over the throttles and the "system" has worked well until last week. We had been lobstering all day and not using the ladder at all since everyone had fins and could easily get up on the Armstrong bracket. Before heading home, several crew members jumped in the water to cool off, one of which used the ladder and did not annouce it!

It's amazing how little affect the trim tabs have on the boat when you leave the "ladder tab" down :1898_:

I'm thinking of adding a sign to the ladder reminding users to announce that it is down.

What do you do???

i usually just look to see if there is a rooster tail on the starboard side of my boat and then put the brakes on.. :D :D

Same here. Look back every now and then and make sure things look right with the wake. That said, we rarely use it unless we are lobstering or scalloping. Never had an issue with it.

I put a dockline around mine and tie it to a stern cleat. I leave enough slack in it so that if it slips out of the bracket while underway, it won't flip back and damage the boat.

We're all programmed to clear the boat of lines before getting under way. That line hanging out of the hawse pipe has always caught my attention, and if it doesn't, I won't loose my ladder.

I have started floating a line behind the boat whenever we go swimming or in the water. It's purpose is for safety in case someone gets tired or everyone goes over and forgets to drop the ladder (like the goof movie with the sailboat). If you did something like that then you would remember to check the ladder because pulling in the line is the last thing I do before starting up.

What do you do???

My behavior has improved. A few episodes of "crap, somethings broken!" then looking back to see the ladder in the water works wonders to remind you to look next time.

Please, no more signs. Maybe you can use the "transom door must be closed when operating engines sign" as a substitute.

Hypnosis might help.

I resemble this thread. I can never remember to put up the dive ladder. When I had this one fabricated I told the guy to make it so it won't fall off or hurt the boat when I forget. He did a good job. I have looked back at near full throttle and seen quite a rooster tail but when I slow down and put up the ladder everything is fine again.

I also tend to forget having a bait bucket over the side but that is another thread.