Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Cockpit cover price!

I just got a price of $1800.00 to make and install a cockpit cover for my 36 Egg Harbor. The cover will go from 'the cabin to the transom with no window. It will have to go around the fly bridge ladder. I,ve had work done by this man several times and he does great work but this price seems to be quite a bit higher than I expected. I expected around $1000. to $1300. The last cockpit cover he did for a 33 Chris Craft was $950. That was 2 years ago. Does the price seem reasonable? I'm not trying to be cheap but it just sounds too high. Any opinions or prices for comparable work would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Al

What material is he using?

Sunbrella currently sells for about $20/yard (60" wide). It is pretty much the industry standard, but some other fabrics used in marine applications may cost a bit more. You can estimate the yardage and that will give you some idea of his materials cost, after adding maybe 10% for snaps, thread, binding, etc.

One factor is if you are replacing a cover or getting a new one made from scratch. There is a lot of labor in making canvas work from scratch, since the maker will most likely have to spend a few hours measuring and making a pattern. It is unlikely that he has a pattern for your boat on hand. If you can find someone who has made a cover for a boat like yours you should get a better price.

Try Grahams Marine Canvas. 609.624.7979

I had him do a mooring cover for my cat and the price was great and the end product and service was great as well. Even ran back to make a change I asked for after the fact and only charged me materials.

Talk to Tom Graham. Tell him John with the World Cat in Sea Isle sent you.

Grahams Marine Canvas WebSite