Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Thanks Mercury

My 2006 275 Verado started leaking motor oil out of the lower unit next to the drain plug. (238 hours) The mechanic diagnosed it as an oil pump seal. I contacted Mercury who tells me that I’m 15 months out of warranty, they are not financially responsible and to have a nice day. I contact the Mechanic and ask him how much overtime and I’m going to work to pay for the costly repair. The mechanic makes a 5 minute call to Mercury, who agrees to cover the total cost, and tells the mechanic to replace the oil pump shaft while he’s at it. That’s customer service. Thanks Mercury and I owe the mechanic a case of his favorite brew.

:1992_beer_cheer:

Honestly from a TV repair standpoint you have to understand that customer service and technical assistance are two totally different operations. Technical support can make the suggestions to do things outside of the warranty, while customer service rep's only read from a book, and are programmed to what they can say or do...... I know TV repair is totally different from outboard motor repair, but the principles are still the same!!! This is why it's good to take your Boat/TV to an "authorized" repair center!!!! (And no I do not have any interest in the matter, I am just expressing my opinion as a boater)!!!

David

I agree. As a seasoned technician representing many manufactures in a different field, I had much success in turning a past or even a non-warranty issue to a warranty claim. Most of the time they agree to parts only, customer picks up labor. This works only through their technical Service dept., never works through warranty claims dept.as DJ stated.

• 3 weeks later...